Cat6 Split

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question I purchased this from Amazon. If I split one Cat6 to two separate poe cameras is there anyway for it to display each camera on separate channel? So when I view my monitor I see the split cameras.

Regards,
AC

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
This device is a poe-powered 2-port ethernet switch that also passes power to its output ports. The main 'gotcha' is the POE port that's driving the splitter has to be able to supply enough power for both cameras and the switch itself. If the power is sufficient, your cameras and the rest of the system will behave the same as if you had run separate cables to each camera using 2 POE ports. This device will not work with an NVR's built-in POE port, but should work with any POE switch. I occasionally use one of these devices for temporary setups and it has worked flawlessly.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I know only the switch I'm running, which is a Cisco enterprise managed switch that I bought used. It has run without a hitch. These types of switches are screaming deals on ebay because of businesses replacing them with newer models. A bit of due diligence is required, as some of the older models are power hogs, and they are generally pretty loud because of their fans. There have been a lot of threads about switch recommendations, which I assume can be found by searching. You could possibly also use a POE injector with a non-POE switch. I don't have any experience using these so had better not say any more.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need a switch that can output at least 30w per port if you want to be able run your Poe extender and actually have anything connected to it.

It's in the specs of the device you linked.
Power consumption<=3W (or 30W with POE device connected)

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got a used 3com 3CDSG10PWR poe+ switch on eBay for around 15 bucks. 3com got bought by hp. Eight 100mbps network ports, two gigabit uplink ports. Very nice interface, compared to my Trendnet tpe1020ws smart switch. I'd recommend both, but I like the 3com better. No fan in either. The 3com has been handling my 8 Poe cameras for five months or so.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question I purchased this from Amazon. If I split one Cat6 to two separate poe cameras is there anyway for it to display each camera on separate channel? So when I view my monitor I see the split cameras.

Regards,
AC
This is essentially a POE-powered 2 port, POE switch. It's for POE-powered IP cams. The cams will be connected to either a NVR or a PC with VMS software such as Blue Iris. They can't be viewed by using just a monitor. Each cam should have a unique, static IP. The NVR or the VMS PC will determine how the cams are displayed on the screen

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.