Caught this guy taking pictures...

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if you get a list of demands from them within 3-4 months. Also don't be surprised if they cancel you even if you meet their demands. Are you in Florida?
I'm in PA, just switched to Progressive at the beginning of the year. Same thing happened to me in March just before the COVID stuff hit the fan, the guy actually rang the bell to let us know what he was doing. We got a letter a few months later, had to remove a [broken] trampoline and sign a form saying we do not and will not own a trampoline on the property. Also had to install a railing on a set of sliding glass doors that were 2' off the ground in the rear of our in-law suite because there were no steps, deck or railing.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On my property...not public.
You were very wise to have that Glock behind you....guy shows up unannounced, uninvited, on your property, wearing a mask, right hand in a black bag or something on right hip...what if you'd been out there working in your yard, bent over, focused on your task and THIS dipstick comes up behind you?

All I can say is...things are very different, unfortunately, from the way they were last year. He is taking a big risk, IMO.

I'm glad it worked out, no one got shot, etc, but secretly I would hope he gets the crap scared out of him soon....it may save his life.

Reaction score
You were very wise to have that Glock behind you....guy shows up unannounced, uninvited, on your property, wearing a mask, right hand in a black bag or something on right hip...what if you'd been out there working in your yard, bent over, focused on your task and THIS dipstick comes up behind you?

All I can say is...things are very different, unfortunately, from the way they were last year. He is taking a big risk, IMO.

I'm glad it worked out, no one got shot, etc, but secretly I would hope he gets the crap scared out of him soon....it may save his life.
I told him I’m a retired LEO and let him see my Glock to let him know it could have been a very bad outcome.

To make matters worse, he was parked in a red zone and had California (out of state) plates.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well they wouldn't tell you there would be an inspection as that would scare you from going with them LOL.

Same thing happened to a friend - they made them replace their deck (that was 1 foot off the ground and fine IMO) and two windows (one had a crack other was fine). After they spend the money to replace them, the insurance company dropped them...Nice service.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I hope you got lots of ID from him, and I'm sure you did. Anyone shows up here trying to take photos from anywhere other than the street is a trespasser and would have to unlock a gate to get to the rear of the house. Heck, I've gone after surveyors looking for a benchmark to make sure of what they're up to. I don't think I'll ever use Progressive, don't like the name to begin with.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Progressive is very anti gun!

Friend had progressive and had a gun stolen.
He called progressive to get the window fixed.
They dropped him a couple months later for no reason.
The only thing he sould think of is the way they treated him about the gun.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I had ASI home insurance for a few years. During that time they were absorbed by Progressive so my Progressive policy was possibly different from other Progressive policies. I dropped them this year mainly because of a huge price increase, but their attitude toward animals bugged me. If you have a dog or cat, even a goldfish I believe, you need an extra cost endorsement to have them covered for liability. Really dangerous animals like backyard chickens need an even more expensive endorsement.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just switched. Wasn’t told that there would be an inspection.
Luckily you switched, sounds like you were probably put on the auto cancel list after he saw the Glock. If I saw someone snooping around my compound, especially right up next to house, I would not have the Glock behind my back when I confront them. Shows you the type of operation Progressive runs. They most likely train their inspectors to show up w/o notice, so they can try to capture all the bad things they do not want to cover. I believe that is called trespassing. They obviously don't give a damn about their employees, let alone their clients. It is amazing that idiot is still alive.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ya, I would be upset too if someone just showed up on my property like that without an appointment... Earlier this year I switched homeowner's insurance from USAA to a fairly new company called Hippo. They also sent someone out who contacted me and ASKED if she could check out backyard, etc. I told her I would prefer that she didn't and she said fine, I will just pretend you weren't home... Works for me

By the way, I am extremely pleased with Hippo Insurance. They are an internet based company and not only did they save me $900 on my annual premium, they also have included in their standard homeowner policy, $100k worth of 'appliance coverage'. So when my AC failed a couple of months of switching to Hippo, I filed a claim and they paid out $8,200 towards the completely new unit that we had installed. They don't sell in every state, but I would recommend you get a quote if interested. Less than 5 minutes on the internet - the pull most of your data from the web, probably Zillow

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So when my AC failed a couple of months of switching to Hippo, I filed a claim and they paid out $8,200 towards the completely new unit that we had installed.
Wow....just wow. Paid out $7,250 a week ago for a new Amana 16 SEER HVAC installed, including propane gas backup stainless steel heat exchanger. The Carrier was 14-1/2 years old. It still worked but the A/C compressor was buzzing and squealing. :facepalm:

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wow....just wow. Paid out $7,250 a week ago for a new Amana 16 SEER HVAC installed, including propane gas backup stainless steel heat exchanger. The Carrier was 14-1/2 years old. It still worked but the A/C compressor was buzzing and squealing. :facepalm:
Our system was over 17 years old, and used R22. I was there when it failed - basically the electrical connection at the compressor overheated, melted the seals and all the freon leaked out. It made a horrible noise when it went, and I ran over and pulled the disconnect. You can't really get R22 components any more since R22 was banned effective Jan 2020. The only R22 freon that is available is what is left in the supply chain and what can be recycled from older units. So that helped our case upgrading to a new AC unit.

So going in I new I needed a new unit and ended up going with the Costco contractor for my area - no one else could beat his price on Lennox equipment. A full replacement system - both AC and a new furnace was around $10k for a similar, single speed system, but we ended up going with the top of the line Lennox (up to 25 seer, variable speed, electronic air filter, etc) for $15k, hoping that Hippo would come through and take the 'sting' out of it. The $8,200 was after my $500 deductible so as I mentioned, we were very pleased. I couldn't see spending the money on just the AC side.

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am an independent agent that represents Progressive. Any time I write a homeowners policy, I notify the client that their home will undergo an exterior inspection. Most of the time, they are conducted within the first 2-4 weeks of the policy being issued. 10 years ago when I started in this business, the carriers were satisfied if I had a front view and back view picture of the insured property. They would (still do) conduct random audits on our paperwork to make sure we had pictures and signed applications.

Nowadays, ALL of my carriers are conducting exterior inspections on new business- that includes Progressive, Travelers, Safeco, and several other regional companies. As long as their are no glaring liability or maintenance issues, the reports are reviewed by underwriting and nothing happens.

I will say this: the inspectors are usually third party subcontractors that inspect for several companies. Some of the inspections are conducted very poorly. I've seen square footage figures that are way off... as in, the inspector measured in centimetres versus feet.

Keep in mind that the companies are choosing to spend $75-$100 in first year profit by ordering these inspections. It helps weed out potential claims issues for the companies and for the clients themselves. They are making sure that the insured home meets their specific underwriting guidelines. In my opinion, If there are any issues, than the agent did not ask the right questions or the homeowner is trying to hide something.

Each company has different underwriting criteria. Some only accept a shingle roof home if the shingles are 15 years old or newer. Some allow trampolines if they are netted while others don't. Some companies exclude animal liability (Progressive) while others include it in their standard H03 contract. It's the agent's job to know where certain clients need to be insured and where they will get the best price.