CCA Myth?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I agree re the potential of it acting as a fuse to carry fire along to other parts of the property, same applies to any type of cabling or other materials used that span areas within a property. Just trying to raise that the scare mongering about CCA causing fires isn't really based much in fact, and the flame tests for sure do not back that premise up.
FYI - the point, and a valid one, is that companies which assert CCA cables meet cat5e/cat6 requirements are already committing fraud, and probably doing so with other claims about cables meeting specs - and this can include sheathing material representation fraud.

Causing of fires - the scientific data is there, you can look at the NEC tables ( new iirc in 2017 ) for copper and extrapolate that for CCA.

For a single cable the risk is minimal, as you bundle the cables the risk increases - with some DIY installers they're installing the cables in a manner which routes the cable under carpets, under rolling chairs mats, between doors, windows, .. all sort of routes

As PoE becomes more popular and more power is transferred we will see more incidents, PoE is relatively young in it's adoption.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Placing order now.

I feel like upgrading all Ethernet cables thats on my router now. Might get better internet lol (yer right).

Thanks to everyone who replied. Hope this thread helps people to not fall for these shit cables.

Signing out!

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Most people do not understand one of the characteristics of aluminum that makes it more problematic than copper for electrical connections. And that is how incredibly reactive aluminum really is.

We're all familiar with the way iron rusts (oxidizes) in the presence of humid air or oxygenated water. But most of us see aluminum used in various applications, and we never see any evidence of corrosion. So we tend to imagine that aluminum is very non-reactive and is resistant to oxidation.

But the truth is just the opposite! Aluminum is highly reactive and wants to oxidize very badly. But the interesting thing is that when aluminum oxidizes, the oxide that is formed is very inert.

Aluminum oxide is, in fact, sapphire! And sapphire is a great insulator. It's also clear, so we don't see it. ;)

And ironically, that clear coating of sapphire protects the aluminum below it so in normal use, aluminum appears to be very corrosion-resistant. But it's that layer of corrosion on its surface that's protecting it!

So while aluminum isn't a terribly bad conductor (4th on the list, actually) the problem is that it's highly reactive, and the oxidation that forms is a fantastic insulator!

Bare aluminum exposed by scraping or sanding will oxidize over completely in 8 minutes or less in a normal atmosphere. In fact, aluminum is so reactive, so prone to oxidation, that fine aluminum powder is often used as the "fuel" in a number of explosive compositions. Look up "Tannerite" as an example that most of us have seen in use, if only on YouTube.

What has been found is that when aluminum is used at a contact point, the initial connection (screwing down a screw or mating an insulation displacement connector (IDC) may scrape through the oxide (sapphire) layer temporarily, and a good connection will appear to have been made.

But the reactivity of the aluminum is so strong that it will begin to oxidize, with the oxide burrowing down under the screw or below the contacts of the mated IDC connector, and eventually, the oxide will grow into the connection until the conductivity is made worse and worse.

The normal connectors used for these Ethernet cables are IDC types. That is, insulation displacement connectors. The way they work, when you crimp them onto the wire, is that a "fork" presses down so as to squeeze the insulation out of the way (thus the name: insulation displacement), and then the fork bites over the conductor inside, scraping it and squeezing down against it to form the electrical connection.

This connection relies on good conductivity of the tiny surfaces that are actually in contact.

Now, the idea of copper-clad aluminum is to provide a layer of copper over the aluminum so that the IDC (or other) connector bites onto copper instead of aluminum.

This sounds good, but because the copper plating is so thin, the actual cross sectional area of copper that is available to make contact with an IDC connector "fork" is extremely small. Further, the copper can be completely scraped away (penetrated) by the fork of the connector, and what results is a connection that again, relies on the aluminum making good contact to the connector fork.

And, as might be expected, oxygen can creep into the connection, and eventually oxidize the aluminum, leading to ever worsening contact.

Now, think about what causes electrical heating.

Heat is the product of current times voltage. Basically, power is heat.

As contact resistance rises, the voltage drop at the connection increases. Since the powered device still needs to consume its required power, and since the DC-DC converter in the powered device will simply draw more current to compensate for the lost voltage, the device will actually draw more current as the contact resistances increase, up to the limit of what the POE switch or injector can supply, or the limit of what the powered device's DC-DC converter can cope with.

So we have more and more heat being dissipated in the very tiny area where the connector's IDC contact forks are trying to make contact with the oxidized aluminum. And things spiral out of control.

This is why you can have fires start at the connection points when aluminum cable is used.

I don't have a lot of faith in these "modular" connectors anyhow. And when we start pushing power through them, I have even more concern. So the last thing I want to do is use aluminum cable, even if it's copper-clad.

And that doesn't even address the higher bulk resistance of aluminum versus copper.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im gonna have cca nightmares when i go to sleep tonight :( thanks sigmo lol

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1, @J Sigmo .
In many ways, similar to the problems builders created due to the copper shortage the construction industry endured mid to late 60's.

My house in Santa Clara, CA was built in '68 and wiring was all copper. The houses across the street were built '66-67 and were all aluminum wiring, and were terminated directly to circuit breakers, panels, lighting fixtures, switches, etc. that were all copper. There were no Al-Cu (aluminum to copper alloy) devices made then (if there were, no one knew how/when to use) and no No-Ox paste was used....the builders had no idea the problems it was going to cause....mainly fires, burnt up devices and at the very least...flickering lights.

The results reared its head quickly, class-action suits were filed and some houses were completely re-wired. Meanwhile, the supply industry came up with Al-Cu devices and crimp-on / screw-on alloy lugs (still a bad idea) in a feeble attempt to continue using the aluminum wiring that had already been installed.

As most of us know, various power utility companies all over have been using ACSR (Aluminum Conductor Steel Reinforced) overhead power service drops for decades with apparently no issues. This is because they understood the issues surrounding the attempt at mechanically bonding the 2 dissimilar metals together and used an inline, alloy splice, with poke-thru sealed ends filled with a no-oxide alloy paste then crimped with a VERY powerful "krimping tool" on each section of the 2 conductors. They're called simply "Service Conductor Splices".

tnb_acsr_splice.jpg

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly. Aluminum wire can be used safely, but it requires special procedures, connectors, and preparation. It is often used as you describe, and there are no problems when everything is done properly.

They've also improved the alloys used for aluminium electrical wire and the connectors for it. And they've designed connectors that accommodate or match the thermal expansion and contraction of the aluminum.

So a lot has been learned about how to make safer connections to aluminum wire.

It may well be that special Ethernet connectors can be or already are available to work safely with aluminum Ethernet cable.

But I'd want to research it and see some good testing results before using such a system in a POE environment.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
just installed cat6a double shield bare copper wires. took 8 hours of my life away. what a pain in the ass and boring as hell. im gonna go to my coma now. im too tired from doing all that work lol

ps. the cables are real cat6a cables verified by weight and i no longer see any shiny aluminum at the plug ends where the insulator is crimped and terminated. thanks to element14 for legit cables.

hope its allowed to mention them here. if not i can remove it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
C'mon, man....you're only 25 years old! Just wait another 45 years and you have to spend 2 hours in the morning getting limbered up enough to be able walk, taking 2 hours doing ANY task that should take 1 hour and spending 2 hours in some doctor's office every week.

You'll survive. Glad you resolved your issue...now you can move on to life's next challenge. :rolleyes:

EDIT: According to "Grumpy Old Man", things could be worse.

Last edited: