CCTV cam with Blue Iris?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is for a grocery store. At the last incident, the suspect ran past the camera but the footage of their face was blurry. Currently, I am using a DVR but I want a clear picture of the face if it happens again.
If you want less blur, you typically need to adjust the exposure (i.e. increase the shutter speed), not increase the FPS.

FPS is just the number of pictures the camera takes every second. If the exposure isn't correct, a FPS of 30 is simply going to take 30 crappy-looking pictures every second.

dubb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you want less blur, you typically need to adjust the exposure (i.e. increase the shutter speed), not increase the FPS.

FPS is just the number of pictures the camera takes every second. If the exposure isn't correct, a FPS of 30 is simply going to take 30 crappy-looking pictures every second.
Alright. I can adjust exposure with blue iris correct? My current dvr does not have options like that. If i transfer the cctv using the $80 dvr recording at 1080n, will I be able to change the exposure settings?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Alright. I can adjust exposure with blue iris correct? My current dvr does not have options like that. If i transfer the cctv using the $80 dvr recording at 1080n, will I be able to change the exposure settings?
Blue Iris (and most NVRs) record the video as the camera sends it. With IP cams, normally exposure settings are changed directly on each camera. Not sure with CCTV.

jyoung171

n3wb
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to TMOS awesome job. I just loaded up my 8 cct cameras and am very happy with just being able to view everything in one place on BI!!!

swebster

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to bump this post because it helped me in moving over a system to Blue Iris.

I have 8 cameras that are CCTV type with the BNC connection that needed to move to an IP based connection. I had 2 options.

The first option is to replace the camera and use an IP to Coax/analog adaptor with POE. In a different install, it works great in a 1890 feet coax run to a Dahua camera. Be aware you only get 10 watts POE MAX with this product. This is not the cheapest way to go.

The second option is to use a DVR. It is a much cheaper. I used ANRAN 16CH Security DVR 1080N. I runs without a hard drive. It’s not needed because blue iris stores all the data. I connected up the 8 cameras I have and got the ANRAN unit working like normal. I connected it up to the network and logged in via web browser. This is where I adjusted things so that Blue Iris could see it.

Under the menu DeviceCfg, Encode will be a form to fill out for each camera. Here Channel refers to camera. You will need to set up each channel(camera) and save them one at a time. I use “D1” for the resolution with best quality.

Now go to Blue Iris and setup the each camera one at a time. Remember in the PATH the channel is the camera number and you will need to change the CAMERA setting to match that.

Also remember to adjust for the password. I left it blank in this explanation.
I hope this helps!
View attachment 38423 View attachment 38424 View attachment 38425 View attachment 38426 View attachment 38427
Thanks for this post - I used your info here to transition a neighbor to BlueIris as well. The folks at BI should put this info on their website as it might help to sell more of their excellent product!!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.