CCTV digital overlay journal overlay till to cam screen & Geovision

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Guys What a great website!

I have a whole new setup to create (Nvr PC thanks 2 Fenderman i5 Haswell with \ good low light wdr IP cameras unknown & \ software unknown but looking at blue Iris)

Was looking for digital / journal overlay which sends whats on the till to one of the cameras but I must admit defeat and look for another alternative.

(Geovision do a box that sends the data from the point of sale ie touchscreen till to the camera as an overlay through the com port which sends the receipt printer.
I dont intend using geovision nvr as I can not find much acclaim for their system. They also do a software version
An important factor is sort of motion control in the text so can look through sales at end of day in 1)

1) Does anyone know of any success with similar and if not
2) can anyone think of any outside the box alternatives (link the till display to the cctv or camera the till and motion detect rec when someone goes near or it actions)

Plus 3) has anyone had any good experiences with Geovision

Thanks very much in anticipation of anyone answering

Adam

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey @adamdylan what POS are you running? Depending on the POS hardware/software you might find this easier then you thought. The big guys in the POS arena are Micros and Aloha. I can tell you that I run UpSolutions at my brewery and have 2 POS dumping directly to an LTS NVR via TCP/IP, no com ports needed or additional boxes. The over lay just runs 24/7, no motion detection or activation needed - not to mention there way to much activity at the registers during business hours that motion detection would go CRAZY. However, if you have a POS you are watching without a lot of activity you you could set up a zone around the POS so when it sees activity it will record that point in time, grab a snap shot, or just flag the event.

Sorry, I can't speak to Geovision, however there are a lot of products on the market that should help you with this, however a LOT will depend on your POS hardware/software.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Zero.
Brewery WOW!
You gave me great food for thought and made me smile all yesterday as I simply have never seen it in my mind as being busy.

I have a copy of the leading pos software here in GB ICR Touch.running on a standard windows embedded touchscreen (XP I think?)

I would like a still frame of every transaction with bar counter behind.

How does yours work is it software put onto the pos till ?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Re: CCTV digital overlay journal overlay till to cam screen & Geovision

Thanks for your reply Zero.
Brewery WOW!
You gave me great food for thought and made me smile all yesterday as I simply have never seen it in my mind as being busy.

I have a copy of the leading pos software here in GB ICR Touch.running on a standard windows embedded touchscreen (XP I think?)

I would like a still frame of every transaction with bar counter behind.

How does yours work is it software put onto the pos till ?
Not sure on how you would do that - the still image portion... For me the UpSolutions software runs on a Windows xp embedded machine as well, thats pretty standard in the POS industry to support the touch features of most POS hardware manufactures - Also the only reason Microsoft continued support for XP - Embedded/Touch POS since they killed it for home users, us business/pos users are good for updates will 2017 or 2018 I believe guaranteed, but most likely longer since most POS manufactures still have not pushed to new OS Software. However, that being said its not about the hardware in this case (well, maybe a little), but mainly about the software.

For me, when I log into the backend of my POS software where all the programming and database is (add users, add items, change pricing) I have a section for POS Cameras/Overlay. There I simply provide the IP information etc for the IP/NVR/Camera hardware, then within my NVR I have a POS section in the configuration and I just assure the settings in the POS software and the NVR match. Now when ever a transaction is completed (Tender or Cash Drawer Open) the action of the POS/Transaction over lays on the camera looking at that POS. So my cameras record 24/7 but when the register Tenders or has a Manual Cash Drawer request processed what is occurring overlays on my camera feed.

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: CCTV digital overlay journal overlay till to cam screen & Geovision

Wow How clever...... Its in the software already!!!!
Is it this? www.upsolution.com/ Couldnt find a single used machine on ebay.com but it must be of some age as hasnt windows pos 7 been out for a few years? Is the software available on its own?

What I have been told can be done is a still taken everytime the new overlay occurs so you can look through at speed (as a cctv software option I think).
Can you please tell me...do you use it say when stocks are down and if it had this snapshot feature would you be more likely to ?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe windows 7 Pos has been avaliable for awhile however it was not widely adopted by the POS market initially which is why Microsoft extended the XP POS longer, I'm sure Microsoft will force the switch with killing g support and updates though after the next cutoff.

Yes that is the upsolutions website and I run the uprestraunt software on an Imprax Machine with cash drawer attached like this one, but in black with no front user display.
http://www.posbank.com/products/pos-terminals/imprex.html

I honestly rarely use the feature or review the video specifically for the till overlay. The software has so many reports that quickly show me manual drawer opens, price changes, or additional discounts as well as notes entered when these occur as well as the user ID that initiated the function I can get 99.9%of my answers that way.

The system is alost two years old, I believe for both systems with cash drawers and kitchen printer and the upsolutions software we spent 4,500. Micros wanted 8,500 and aloha wanted 11,000.

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I hope if they do stop support it will have no effect for you.
I have 2 laptops one running windows 10 with regular updates and the other windows 8 which I have suspended updates and set the system restore should anything go wrong. The windows 8 laptop is the best and most stable !
Why would you want to update if working ok ? and everytime ive needed support it has not come from msoft Do they help you?

The reports that the till gives sounds great too. Does it have back office to help with accounts?

I suppose what I was looking for was stock down, pic of a sale of 1 pint overlaid on to 10 pints on the bar and voila. How do you combat this?

It seems to me I have it wrong and am looking for something unusable / I will not use. I cant see myself spending an hour or so to look at all the stills.
(However it seems good as a deterrent as the employee knows what goes through the till is overlaid on the bar cam)