Cell Phone Theft

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You never know how physically close you are to scumbags and negative encounters when you are in transitional spaces. That young mom and kids (at the end) were heading to the community swimming pool and had no idea that the exiting threesome was so sketchy.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
stupid people. today someone else phone is useless. and when they get home. police arrive 5 minutes later.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
There are some apps you can get as well that you activate remotely that turn on your cell phones cameras and secretly transmit a live feed. So if your phone is stolen, you can view and I believe the footage is recorded to the cloud. It's a great way of getting close up video of thieves faces when maybe the phone was taken out of CCTV covered areas and simply disappears. It can also help police identify suspects and locations. The downside has to be potential privacy issues if someone else or the app company (should it be a vogue app), decided to activate the stream without your knowledge. I guess 1 answer here is a case that covers the camera lenses when the phone is not in use.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I think she wanted to surreptitiously film the crazy guy.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Stealing? I want to know what idiot puts their phone next to the trash can in a public area.
Maybe they thought someone would think it was broken and leave it. I actually think it might be hard to prosecute this one as the thief could simply claim it was discarded in the trash as it had been placed next to the bin. Once ownership is discarded, the item belongs to no-one and can't be stolen. There are other scenarios as well, but all seem to leave this one open to a defence of one type or another....

But he could run like a zombie on meth :D
They should audition him for a part in The Walking Dead.

Reaction score
stupid people. today someone else phone is useless. and when they get home. police arrive 5 minutes later.
Might depend on your police force, when the kids got their first smartphone stolen and I called the cops with the location of the phone (to within 100 feet because we could pull it up on a map with Sprint, which narrowed it down to 3 houses), the police asked me wth I was thinking getting such an expensive phone for a "kid". Mind you they were in JUNIOR HIGH.

That phone was never recovered, the police in the small town of 15k were afraid to go into that neighborhood to retrieve a phone, or just wasn't worth the risk of getting shot at over a $600 phone.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Might depend on your police force, when the kids got their first smartphone stolen and I called the cops with the location of the phone (to within 100 feet because we could pull it up on a map with Sprint, which narrowed it down to 3 houses), the police asked me wth I was thinking getting such an expensive phone for a "kid". Mind you they were in JUNIOR HIGH.

That phone was never recovered, the police in the small town of 15k were afraid to go into that neighborhood to retrieve a phone, or just wasn't worth the risk of getting shot at over a $600 phone.
I have to agree with the cop, but that's me. YMMV.
Kid gets a phone when they get a job and can pay for it.
Flame on. ;)

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I wonder if it were a cops kids phone they would have responded the same way? And what does cost of a phone have to do with anything about law enforcement? Would they have tried to recover a cheaper phone?

Reaction score
@looney2ns no flaming at all! I was just surprised, given the rise of technology, knowing where the stolen item was didn't make it something they wanted to pursue. Learned our lesson, just bought them used phones off ebay the entire rest of their growing up years. :D

My guess is if they have stolen cellphones, they might have other stolen stuff. Else, it could just be a junior high kid stole it, and missed an opportunity for a life lesson possibly to get them off that track.