Change Blue Iris profile with my voice

acphm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

in my Blue Iris settings I have a different profile to use depending on where I am at home. For example when I'm in the garden the profile don't trigger cams installed in the garden, when I'm in the garage other profile don't trigger de garage's cam, etc. But I have to take a smartphone or PC or tablet to change the active profile, this is slow and sometimes my hands are not free.

My dream for years was to change the profile using only my voice with a Google Assistant smart speaker. Now I hope I found a way to do this and all necessary tools. But before starting the way I would like if someone can control Blue Iris by voice and what tools are you using.

Regards.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have BI integrated into Home Assistant whereby I can control profiles with voice using Alexa and Siri. What are your plans?

Last edited:

nickh66

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi acphm,
Just like hikky_b i too am using Home Assistant for overall home automation. While i have not setup any voice control of my BI system it's relatively easy to do. That said, until such time as BI natively provides an integration point for Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant or Apple Siri you would have to consider some kind of middle-man solution, like a home automation hub.
Using a home automation hub like Home Assistant opens the door for other ways to view/access/control your BI system.
Are you using any kind of home automation solution today?
Cheers.

acphm

n3wb
Reaction score
I have BI integrated into Home Assistant whereby I can control profiles with voice using Alexa and Siri. What are your plans?
Hi hikky_b,

I knew the possibility to use Home Assistant and MQTT to contro Blue Iris with voice but this adds complexity to the system to do just one small function. My smart house has a head (Google Home) and two legs (Shelly and SmartLife), with these three parts I can control lights, courtains, heating, garden watering, music, power consumption and safety (fire, gas and water leak). 9 IP cams controlled by Blue Iris is my security system but until now is not linked to the main system.

My plan to link Blue Iris to Google Home is... Google Home >>> TriggerCMD >>> CURL HTTP >>> Blue Iris

TriggerCMD is a new element but open many doors without having a server. With TriggerCMD agent installed on Windows computer (maybe the same for Blue Iris) I will be able to control Blue Iris, but also NAS backups, ethernet hardware, wifi access points or run some software.
The free TriggerCMD version is enough for me (limited to one computer and one command x minute). There are versions for Windows, Mac, Linux, Google Home and Amazon Alexa.
I have tested the system part by part, and all run ok, but it is pending to test the system working together.

Regards.