Change Hikvision DS-7608 from Chinese to English

jostebo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I just bought a Hikvision DS-7608 from a reseller at Alibaba.
The NVR had english FW installed.
After upgrading from 3.0.10 to 3.3.0, it still worked fine.

Then, I did "Restore to factory default". And it came back up as chinese.
I tried to use the firmware modification tool (From URL below), and tried both with english and chinese country setting, without getting any change.

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2733-Hikvision-FIRMWARE-TOOLS-change-language-extract-files-and-create-own-firmware

Anyone having an idea how to get it back to english?

Thanks

Jone

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly a bit late now, unless someone with the same model (need the full model number including suffix, and maybe the output from getHardInfo and cat /proc/mtd at a command prompt) could help with an extract:
For at least some of the NVRs, the installed firmware can be backed up and a new firmware image created so that you can get back to the 'as delivered' state assuming the seller isn't kind enough to supply you with a firmware image you could use.
I won't post the fine detail here just now, I'd need to be very sure I remembered it right, would not want to break anyone's NVR, but the essence is:
Unmount it and grab a copy of /dev/mtdblock2
Use Hiktools (@wzhick's very useful tool) to 'create' a new firmware file, using the header from any official valid firmware file (*edit* delete --> that you have 'split' with the tool), and the copy of mtdblock2
Update the NVR with the resultant firmware file.

I did this on a 7816N-E2 and it put it right back to how it was when the device had been delivered, after I'd been messing with it quite a bit.

However - for your specific problem - it's possible that if you apply with TFTP an earlier 3.0.8 or 3.0.10 EN or ML firmware you may get back to English, though as you have already done you may need to set the firmware language to 2 for it to be accepted.
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

marvel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Jone,

I got the Chinese & English FW of the DS-7604 (should be compatible with DS-7608), my machine is Chinese and looking for a way to convert it to English as well.

If you need FW, please raise your hand.

Marvel

Reaction score
I've got a DS-7608NI-E2/8P and i made the mistake of trying to update the firmware yesterday with USA firmware. it went into a boot loop. i was able to recover it, but now its in Chinese only. I tried using Hiktools and changing the language code from english to chinese on the english firmware and then loading it and it still boot loops. the only way i can get it to boot is with the chinese firmware.

It came with 3.3.4 on it, but i cant find the stock firmware... i didnt make a backup.. i know, bad me.

Please help!

Hi Jone,

I got the Chinese & English FW of the DS-7604 (should be compatible with DS-7608), my machine is Chinese and looking for a way to convert it to English as well.

If you need FW, please raise your hand.

Marvel

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got a DS-7608NI-E2/8P and i made the mistake of trying to update the firmware yesterday with USA firmware. it went into a boot loop. i was able to recover it, but now its in Chinese only. I tried using Hiktools and changing the language code from english to chinese on the english firmware and then loading it and it still boot loops. the only way i can get it to boot is with the chinese firmware.

It came with 3.3.4 on it, but i cant find the stock firmware... i didnt make a backup.. i know, bad me.

Please help!
The US firmware will work fine on that model. Are you sure it's an NI ?