Change Hikvision IP camera default password

JMSCA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a Hikvision NVR, which was installed about 3 years ago. The existing IP cameras were added to the new NVR. Some of these IP cameras have the default user name and password. I'd like to change the passwords on them, but I'm not able to do it through the NVR interface or by IVMS. When In IVMS, I go to Device Management -> select the NVR and then click Remote Configuration. Under System select Camera. The cameras with the default password have 'N/A' under Security. If I try to Modify the camera settings the User Name and Password are greyed out/not selectable. I've also logged in via the IP address of my NVR and then tried to modify the IP cameras password. It didn't work either. :(

Any thoughts how I can change the default password on these cameras? I'd like to do this if possible the less invasive way; meaning not have to factory reset them. Thank you.:)

Last edited:

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Network->Advanced Network Settings -> Other -> Enable Virtual Host
System-> Camera management -> Click on url that appeared by magic on right side

admin/12345-> Users -> administrator ->Edit ->New password

Back to NVR

System-> Camera management -> edit the channel u changed password -> PlugNPlay to Manual ->Enter new password

JMSCA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi trempa92,

Thank you!!! ;)
You're a life saver! That worked. Much appreciated. I've been going around in circles a number of times.
Is this written down in any of Hikvision's user's manual or other document?

I probably should have added that I'm working on an iMac, which is not the best OS to work with Hikvision. IVMS is wonky at times and it's challenging to get any type of support when issues arise. The NVR interface does not work well as I've tried to load the Mac plug in a number of times but it never works. It seems to install as expected but when I go back into the NVR via the IP it still asks me to load the plug in. No help from Hikvision as their support for IOS is next to none unfortunately.

Thank you again.

Last edited: