Change to new WIFI router.

Chim Vang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello friends!
Lately due to some inconsistent problems with my good old wifi router, I decided to replace it with a new wifi6 router.
I am in the process to start the installation and need your helps:
1. Do I have to keep using the old server name or to reconfigure every each one of my 7 IP cameras as well as all my smart equipment?
2. If the new router has enough power and range, what can I use the old router for and how?
Thank you,
Chim Vang
(The old man who never stops learning)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is best to keep the SSID and password the same so that you do not have to change your connection for every device connected to your current router.

You can either use the old router as an old-fashioned switch or use it as an access point to stretch range further in the property.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Should you decide to configure your unused wireless router as as a wireless access point (AP), most wireless routers such as Asus and Netgear (and more) can be configured as an AP as follows:
  • Disable DHCP
  • Assign a static IP to the router's LAN as below
Assuming you have another router somewhere in your network assigning IP's to your network devices, assign a static IP for the above AP in the same subnet as your working router and one that is outside of that router's DHCP pool.

You would run an Ethernet cable from one of the AP's LAN ports to one of your working router's LAN ports.

Chim Vang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is best to keep the SSID and password the same so that you do not have to change your connection for every device connected to your current router.

You can either use the old router as an old-fashioned switch or use it as an access point to stretch range further in the property.
Thank you wittai for your help, that's what I would like to know.

Chim Vang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
+1^^.
Should you decide to configure your unused wireless router as as a wireless access point (AP), most wireless routers such as Asus and Netgear (and more) can be configured as an AP as follows:
  • Disable DHCP
  • Assign a static IP to the router's LAN as below
Assuming you have another router somewhere in your network assigning IP's to your network devices, assign a static IP for the above AP in the same subnet as your working router and one that is outside of that router's DHCP pool.

You would run an Ethernet cable from one of the AP's LAN ports to one of your working router's LAN ports.
Thank you Tony, exactly what I am thinking to to.
CV (former ARVN)

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tend to rename my SSID when I do a major overhaul, like a new router or something. But it is a major pain in the butt.

I think you'd be surprised how many things in your house you have to re-setup. It stops getting fun after about 10.

Chim Vang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tend to rename my SSID when I do a major overhaul, like a new router or something. But it is a major pain in the butt.

I think you'd be surprised how many things in your house you have to re-setup. It stops getting fun after about 10.
Thanks for the experience.:)
CV

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I used one of my router with OpenWRT firmware as a WIFI bridge to connect to my my Samsung TV and Ooma (VOIP) to my main router so I don't have to run a wire to the both of them.