Changed monitor with a better resolution: not satisfied, where i'm wrong?

Reaction score
Hi, i had a 19" monitor with max res 1280x1024 and i replaced with a 24" full hd . I have 2 security camera 5 mpx and the quality image is still not so good at 25 feet ( images have the same degration when zooming or not). I expected a better risolution but it seems there are not improvements. Ofc i changed the resolution in my dvr from 1280x1024 to 1920x1080 but i'm not satisfied at all. Somebody could post me a zoom picture taken 25 feet away with the same resolution monitor and camera , just to have a comparison ? thanx

Slugnerd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome, you should list the camera name. The sensor size is not comparable between all 5 mp cameras.

Reaction score
the first camera sony sensor IMX335

ImageSensor1/2.9”SONY STARVIS CMOS
EffectivePixels2592(H)×1944(V), 5MP
ScanningSystemProgressive
MinimumIllumination0.005Lux/F1.6, 30IRE, 0Lux IR on
IRDistanceUp to 25m
IROn/OffControlAuto / Manual
IRLEDs18 SMD pcs IR LED
Lens
LensTypeFixed lens / Fixed iris

the second has these specs

1/2.9" Sony Strarvis IMX326 CMOS sensor
• 5 Megapixel (2592x1944)
• 2.8mm FIXED lens
• Max distance IR Led 80m
• 4 IR Led Array (Ø42)
• IP66

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It may have to do with the 2.8mm lens. 2.8mm is more for overview. I have a couple of IPC-5442TM-AS (better sensor) with 2.8mm lenses that I use to overlook large areas of my yard and when I digital zoom them, they get a little grainy too. How is the image of things close to the camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is not an ideal MP/sensor size combination and will struggle at night. And the 2.8mm fixed lens is the wrong camera to IDENTIFY someone at 25 feet.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

To identify someone with the 2.8mm lens that is popular, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings. So yea, 25 feet will be almost impossible to IDENTIFY a stranger with a 2.8mm lens.

1604638118196.png

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

Main keys are you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who. Also, do not chase marketing phrases like ColorVu and Full Color and the like - all cameras need light - simple physics...

Reaction score
this is my dvr HYBRID XVR 4K-N 4CH

my cameras have 2 cables each ( one for the video, one for the power), BNC. I took a look at the cameras suggested but i'm not sure if they fit to my dvr and cables management i'm actually using.

Reaction score
time to update this discussion: what camera 5442 ZE - varifocal do you suggest for this DVR HYBRID XVR 4K-N 4CH ? what are the cheapest camera with that sensor? Meanwhile i purchased an Imou cruiser 4 mp ( great camera , only cons is the wifi module that is horrible and i plugged my imou to a powerline and ethernet cable, works very well)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just curious as to why you thought swapping monitors would give you a marked improvement?

One was 1024, the other 1080 so not much real world improvement.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Spreading the same amount of information over a wider area will not improve the picture and may, in fact, degrade it. The same is true of digital zoom, less information (pixels) in a larger area.

Reaction score
ok, i understand. but anybody can suggest me a camera like 5442 ZE - varifocal for this DVR HYBRID XVR 4K-N 4CH ? what are the cheapest camera with that sensor? name same model, so i can have an idea about how much money i should spend

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will find that not many cameras are sold that are on the ideal MP/sensor ratio.

Most 4MP and 8MP are put on the sensor for a 2MP camera.

You will not find a 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor much cheaper than the 5442-ZE, even if at all.

But check out @EMPIRETECANDY Black Friday sale as that is probably the cheapest you will find them: