Changing Camera IP through NVR Poe

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Dahua IP camera which just arrived. The default IP address is 192.168.1.108.
My switch/routers are not poe (so i cant just plug it into my computer and change the IP with the ConfigTool), but my Hikvision nvr is POE. I know that this camera can be used with the nvr, but it needs its IP address changed to 192.168.254.10 (run on ONVIF) to avoid conflicts with existing hikvision cameras.
When plugged into the nvr i cant access it via 192.168.1.108
I dont have the DC-12V adaptor for the camera, my foscams are 5V, and laptop chargers are 19V or 20V

What suggestions would anyone have to be able to get this working?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So when the cam is plugged into the NVR and it has power, plug a computer into the same NVR and set the computer to a temporary IP in the same subnet of the camera. So the computer would be 192.168.1.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. You should then be able to access the camera via 192.168.1.108 and change the IP as you see fit. When done, set your computer back to how it was before (probably dynamically assigned IP).

You could also pick up a cheap PoE injector so you don't have to use the NVR as a "middle man".

I'm not sure why Dahua goes this route. It would make so much more sense to send the cameras with DHCP enabled so they can pickup an address on your local network. I don't understand their logic here...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was wanting to try get it going without getting a POE injector (mainly so i dont have to wait for it to arrive). I found a Ethernet over Power set of adaptors not sure if that will work like a POE injector?, and found a 12V adaptor (need to check if it fits the plug).

My router on 192.168.2.###, my pc and nvr are both 192.168.2.### (all static ip's) but nvr assigns 192.168.254.# to its hikvision cameras when they activate.

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So when the cam is plugged into the NVR and it has power, plug a computer into the same NVR and set the computer to a temporary IP in the same subnet of the camera. So the computer would be 192.168.1.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. You should then be able to access the camera via 192.168.1.108 and change the IP as you see fit. When done, set your computer back to how it was before (probably dynamically assigned IP).
Would the computer be plugged into one of the 8ports of the nvr, or the Lan port?
My equipment is all fixed but I can direct connect the cables by bypassing the switch.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Would the computer be plugged into one of the 8ports of the nvr, or the Lan port?
My equipment is all fixed but I can direct connect the cables by bypassing the switch.
Either or. Doesn't matter. You just need to be on the same L2 network as the cam. Once you are, then you can temporarily set the IP of the computer to the same subnet range as the camera in order to access it.

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could not connect. Dahua plugged in port 4 with poe enabled on nvr. Lan cable now routed direct into pc.
Same subnet 255.255.255.0 and pc set as 192.168.1.2 and can't connect to dahua. I can see it's infrared lights on so it's powered.
I'm not sure what the gateway should be but tried the NVR ip and 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2
Is there a setting in the hikvision nvr I need on to allow some sort of Pass through?