Changing Camera Sensors

brym

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. Is it possible to replace the camera in an IP camera with one from a smartphone? If so, how would it be done?

brym

n3wb
Reaction score
That's too bad. But why... are the cameras and sensors on IP cameras the only ones they can use as a result of the firmware?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a male horse and mouse both have a penis, but they aren't exactly the same size are they nor would they be physically or genetically compatible with each other's female counterparts.

Last edited:

brym

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to get laid mate. I obviously have very little knowledge of the subject, and you're replying from a position of experience. I understand what you're saying, but way to immediately alienate a new member by coming across as condescending.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is basically no market standardization between image sensors, and a variety of electrical interfaces. Each different model (even for same manufacturer) needs different software but more critically, often it has a different hardware interface so there is generally no "plug-and-play" replacement even if you could install different custom firmware.

FWIW I have used smartphone-style sensors in IP camera applications, for example the 1/4" type 5MP OmniVision OV5647 Rpi Camera Module - eLinux.org
These 1/4-inch type sensors are fine during the day, but they suffer at night relative to the typical 1/3" IP camera sensor, and even more so compared with the more sensitive "Starlight" type sensor.

If you want to try to make your own IP camera, you could start with something like this dev kit for Sony IMX290 but it would be quite a project, I would think.
2MP Ultralow light full HD Jetson TX2 Camera Board

brym

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks man. I appreciate the extra insight. My spare phone has the 20.7MP Sony camera. Thought I might've been able to make use of it. But I'll definitely check out your link.

brym

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I checked out videos for Alfred and Manything before signing up here. But I quite like the PTZ functionality IP cameras offer (even if it's mostly digital zoom). But that doesn't mean to say mounting a phone to an existing pan/tilt unit, or building one from scratch wouldn't cut it.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
a male horse and mouse both have a penis, but they aren't exactly the same size are they nor would they be genetically compatible.
That assumes the Horse/Mouse are cisgender and not LGBTQQI non-binary beings. In which case there are many alternatives that would make them compatible and able to live as productive members of society. They could adopt.

Please open your mind to the new progressive world.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks man. I appreciate the extra insight. My spare phone has the 20.7MP Sony camera. Thought I might've been able to make use of it. But I'll definitely check out your link.
More pixels isn't always better, it does mean less light hits every pixel of the sensor. The 20mp sensor you reference can also probably only do 1080p or maybe 4k (8mp) video and likely pretty crappy night video.

Sensors between devices aren't at all compatible. Almost every physical, mechanical, and electrical property you can imagine would be different.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. Is it possible to replace the camera in an IP camera with one from a smartphone? If so, how would it be done?
Hi Brym,

Possible? Yes - but due to the amount of hacking it is impractical for many - thus "No" as in it's a lot more work than many of us are willing to learn how to do, cheaper to just get a good quality IP camera.

If you like to hack, there's a lot of good options - and I'd like to encourage you to try them out and see what can be done.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Brym,

Possible? Yes - but due to the amount of hacking it is impractical for many - thus "No" as in it's a lot more work than many of us are willing to learn how to do.
I'd just leave it at if you have to ask, it isn't possible. Many is an understatement. I personally would have no desire to devote months of time into creating a frankencamera.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
PTZ functionality
Due to the added cost, the great majority of consumer-level IP cameras do not have PTZ, they are on fixed mountings. I guess there are a fair number now with zoom and focus settings only (no pan/tilt). As you say, there is no reason you couldn't get a simple pan/tilt platform and put your cellphone on that. A single-axis small pan unit could be under $50. Vidpro MH-300 Motorized Pan Head with Remote Control MH-300 B&H or you could roll your own with hobby servos.

In many cases (certainly most of them I deal with) for any given amount of money, you are better served by simply using more fixed cameras pointed at the key areas of interest, than fewer of the expensive PTZ cameras. When you are panned, tilted and zoomed in, your camera does not see all the other areas, which might actually be more important. Also the PTZ is most useful when manually controlled, which is presumably seldom. Rapidly changing fixed station settings will wear out the motors quickly and automatic "follow" controls can be worse than useless.