Changing hardwired POE to wireless between Dahua NVR and camera

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The situation is I have a POE camera which has been using COAX to POE ethernet converters. It worked for a long time but has quit. Bought new media converters, new camera and it will not work over coax (even a short run) but will work directly hardwired between camera and NVR.

My question is there a way to connect one port of the NVR to one camera wirelessly? If so, can someone provide specific devices that would work? To clarify, I want to connect some kind of wireless device directly to a NVR port then connect another wireless device directly to a wired camera. I can get power to the camera but replacing the coax with ethernet cable is not an option. The distance is about 250 feet straight shot.

Thanks in advance,..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  • Is the NVR a POE NVR?
  • The "250 feet straight shot".... That distance it's likely outdoors, right?
  • If outdoors, is it LOS (Line Of Sight) with no obstructions or vegetation?

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
  • Is the NVR a POE NVR?
  • The "250 feet straight shot".... That distance it's likely outdoors, right?
  • If outdoors, is it LOS (Line Of Sight) with no obstructions or vegetation?
It's a Dahua NVR I think 16 ports and seems like half are POE and the other half not. Only had two cameras connected so plenty of space. Currently only have one POE dome camera wired and it's working perfectly.

The 250 is from a basement through lots of hardwood trees. I may need to add a boosting device and do have a building I could place one located near the house at ground level.

Right now from our regular home network there would be no signal there so I am sure it would have to be boosted.

lane

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I may not have been clear but the outdoor building is close to the house where the nvr is but still 175 feet from where the outdoor camera is installed. If I am reading your schematic correctly, there is hardwire between the remote device and camera. Unless the devices could go the distance, I would have to use some kind of 'booster' to get the signal back and forth.

I do have multi-mode fiber optic cable terminated with ST connectors between the basement and near the remote camera. So that could be another option if I could find some fiber to ethernet converters compatible with multi-mode ST/ST then I could just plug in RJ45 patch cords on each end.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I may not have been clear but the outdoor building is close to the house where the nvr is but still 175 feet from where the outdoor camera is installed. If I am reading your schematic correctly, there is hardwire between the remote device and camera. Unless the devices could go the distance, I would have to use some kind of 'booster' to get the signal back and forth.

I do have multi-mode fiber optic cable terminated with ST connectors between the basement and near the remote camera. So that could be another option if I could find some fiber to ethernet converters compatible with multi-mode ST/ST then I could just plug in RJ45 patch cords on each end.
I'd definitely go with fiber if that's possible.....GA is as bad as AL regarding lightning (I was born and raised in ATL) so I don't do metallic cable in long runs outdoors or between buildings, I do Ubiquiti radios or fiber.