Changing local ip address. Connect by mac address?

Silhorn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a TPLink VR600v router, Blue iris, and I believe are TVT IPC5-DF28SN cameras.

I have static ip set for cameras and blue iris pc through ip reservation and uPnP set to blue iris pc ip address.

Everything working no problem.

I want to know in case I lose the ip reservations or change routers, is there a way to connect to the cameras and port forward to blue iris pc via mac address instead or something.
So in case it happens and I am not there to redirect blue iris to new camera addresses etc.

I can already do this with DDNS and accessing my network from the internet. Is there any features on ip camera or router that can do this?

Maybe some how I can give my cameras a local ddns address, connect via MAC instead of IP, etc...

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You can't connect via MAC. Only via IP address.

So you setup the static IP address in your router via MAC assignment? That is fine. I'm not sure what you fear is here as that is the proper way to do it. Changing router will, of course, cause those IP reservations to fail. If that is your issue then why not just set the static IP addresses in each device manually? Then changing the router doesn't have any effect.

Silhorn

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the cameras and BI setup at my parents house.
If they get a new modem changed and the completely gateway is different then I will need to reconfigure camera addresses again. Also to redo uPnP or Port forwarding to new BI pc ip.
I wanted an automatic new way in case I am not able go over to their place because for whatever reason to change. (I am dead, on holiday with no internet, too busy, etc)
Only way I know is to get a NVR instead of BI so cameras are directly connected.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
A new modem/router is major change. There isn't a good way to automate the setup and configuration of that from outside the network. That's an onsite job. You will still have to setup port forwarding to the NVR via the router/modem's interface in the event of a router change.

Ideally you shouldn't be port forwarding at all. You should be using a VPN server at your parents house and connect to that to get inside their network.