Chatty Cameras

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 8 cameras in use, all contained within a surveil VLAN which has a rule blocking access to the internet. Taking a look at the 'prosumer' Ubiquiti managed network this morning, I see these 3 cameras are particularly chatty. The IP's they are trying to reach are all listed as belonging to Amazon Cloud within the U.S. It's not clear why these 3 cameras are always trying to call out to specific IP's while the others are only trying to reach the DNS servers.

Z12: IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E
Loryta2: IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm
WiFi Garage: IP2M-841B (Amcrest)

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 8 cameras in use, all contained within a surveil VLAN which has a rule blocking access to the internet. Taking a look at the 'prosumer' Ubiquiti managed network this morning, I see these 3 cameras are particularly chatty. The IP's they are trying to reach are all listed as belonging to Amazon Cloud within the U.S. It's not clear why these 3 cameras are always trying to call out to specific IP's while the others are only trying to reach the DNS servers.

Z12: IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E
Loryta2: IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm
WiFi Garage: IP2M-841B (Amcrest)
Is P2P and uPnP disable/turned off in all devices (cams, router) ?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at the Z12, the Network/UPnP category has the 'enabled' checkbox unchecked, while the UDP listing below is checked. Should that option be unchecked, too? I am unsure where the P2P is located within the camera.

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Also I've seen that on some cams/firmware that top Enable box on pages like that doesn't do what you'd expect. You have to go in and uncheck each of the services below; otherwise, they continue to run.

A little ironic too that the Ubiquiti stuff also phones home. Or did at least back when I was running some of their APs and controller.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember watching about anything live on TV, where in the background one sees AWS
plastered everywhere? Even the government uses Amazon Web Service.