Cheap LPR camera with integrated software

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
anyway don't under estimate the power of pi..
they are quite good and i got about 10 of them in my house doing different things and never had a problem.

just need to feed it enough power (Amps).

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
A RPi wouldn't work for OpenALPR anyway. Not powerful enough. A Nano Jetson would however.

Listen, its either learn to setup a VPN between the two sites (steepest learning curve) or port forward (not recommended!) or install a computer at the remote site (what I'd recommend) in order for it to connect to the camera. Those are the only three options.
The option of buying a pc and mounting it on the camera's local network is the best and fastest option. Thanks

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
anyway don't under estimate the power of pi..
they are quite good and i got about 10 of them in my house doing different things and never had a problem.

just need to feed it enough power (Amps).
I'm not really under estimating it. I actually have three of them in various models. But the reality is the cell phone in your pocket is more powerful than a RPi. Rekor actually has an installation guide for installing the Watchman agent on the RPi: Rekor Documentation They state it can only handle single digit fps and is best used to process still frames via the SDK/API. That's why I asked about your resolution and fps. I'd also like to know what the CPU utilization is when processing a plate. Are cars coming to a complete stop in front of your house to give the Rpi time to process the plate?

There was even a thread about using a Rpi for OpenALPR about month ago here: OpenALPR on a Raspberry Pi 4 and the Jetson Nano

I'm glad yours is working for your case, but I don't see how moving traffic with single digit FPS would work on a RPi. Cars move through my FOV in under a second. I’d probably miss some plate captures if I had to use a RPi with single digit FPS. Thats why I was curious of your settings.

Last edited:

dukdom

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for a cheap Windows laptop / tablet to install OpenALPR. Does the computer need any requirements for it to work well or is it not necessary?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I am looking for a cheap Windows laptop / tablet to install OpenALPR. Does the computer need any requirements for it to work well or is it not necessary?
Scout agent system requirements: Rekor Documentation

I wouldn’t use a laptop (and certainly not a tablet). They aren’t meant to run 24x7 and have poor cooling.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
mine's pretty basic .. due to the curved road, it cannot capture anything on the street other than cars coming into my driveway.
It captures car doing the u turn on my driveway and these cars turning in / reversing at a really slow speed .

the camera/video source is a mickey mouse 2231 2mp at 15fps.

i wanted to improve the plate capture, so got a dahua 5231Z12 for it, but end up using it to watch the bird instead :)

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
mine's pretty basic .. due to the curved road, it cannot capture anything on the street other than cars coming into my driveway.
It captures car doing the u turn on my driveway and these cars turning in / reversing at a really slow speed .
Ahh ok. That makes more sense. I appreciate the follow up!

foxden

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The OpenALPR problem is the one I said before. In order to integrate the camera image with the software, you need to be within the same local network. In my situation, windows client and the camera do not share a local network. What I can do?
This program will help you. It works with any cameras and has a 98% recognition accuracy. I have been using it for a long time. When a car is detected from the black list, you can configure the receipt of a notification by email, sms, telegram.