Cheap wifi cam configuration difficulties

geoff woz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to get a cheap wifi camera working with BI. I have a number of other devices working fine of various forms, but this one I just can't configure. While other devices have tended to have a HTTP interface this one doesn't seem to have one.

The camera works well with some iphone/android software (iminicam), but no matter what I try I can't seem to get things to work from BI, as the initial handshake just isn't there.

Having a look at the wireshark capture I can see that basically all communication is via UDP.. there seems to be some setup on UDP port 10210, and then RTP packets seem to stream from port 49154. The device is a h.264 wifi camera.

Similar to the following:

Top Mini Wireless HD 1080P Hidden Camera WiFi Module DVR Video IP P2P Recorder | eBay

Any ideas of a standard BI configuration that will work for this sort of device ? (i've had other similar cameras that do include a web interface "IPCAM", but this one doesnt).

Can BI kick off handshaking with a device like this over UDP port 10210.

I have a wireshark capture of the communications if it's of any help.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure, I think those only work with ad-hoc connection (computer-to-computer).

geoff woz

n3wb
Reaction score
I can see there is certainly a protocol there, and I'm guessing it's standardised to some extent (as it does appear to work ok from multiple Android/IOS device apps), but there doesn't seem to be a PC based client that can talk to it, and I think it's so different from the standard way the BI client communicates with cameras that it's just a bit too much of a stretch.. basically it looks like BI would need to implement at least 5-10 binary UDP messages, that include other information (such as the UIDs into the packet stream... once a connection is negotiated then it appears you just get standard RTSP H.264 packets... that appears to be very different to just about all other cams that are currently supported.

Funny thing is I got this working with another cheap device from china that had a web interface, and also through that interface emulated a foscam camera, so BI worked perfectly with it. It seems this one (although it looks to have basically the same hardware) doesn't come with the Web interface software and the corresponding ability to get BI working with it...

All good, just need to strike it up to experience. I Want to use these for monitoring some equipment around the house, and so doesn't need to be anything special, and is installed in cupboards, so was perfect at $20 each... Just need to be careful when I order another that it's the one with more than just the iMiniCam (P2PCam??) style interface... problem is that mainland china ebay sellers like to say yes, regardless of which questions you ask :-D