Chinese camera on different subnet

Reaction score
I have a cheap chinese camera, that I've had installed for a while. I was troubleshooting some issues and decided to reset to factory. It's been a while, so I don't recall what I may have had to go through initially when I set it up; however, resetting to factory defaulted to a different subnet than my network. The IP address is showing up on my router. If I enter it via a browser (the default method to configure this cam), it just times out. The camera never receives a DHCP assignment. Maybe by default it's set to a static IP address on the other subnet? Do I actually have to be connected to the same subnet to access the camera? Short of creating a new network in my router with that subnet range, how can I connect to this camera? I don't recall having to go through all this previously, but maybe I did. Thanks in advance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
I recommend all cams, NVR's LAN or BI / VMS server being assigned a unique, static IP all in the same subnet as the router's LAN but outside of the router's DHCP pool.

For example, if the router's LAN is 192.168.1.1 and it's DHCP pool (a range of IP's it assigns to DHCP devices) is 192.168.1.2 to .199, use 192.168.1.200 to .254 for your static devices.

BTW, if need be, you can log into the router at its LAN/gateway IP and change that DHCP pool to your liking, setting a range for ample DHCP devices and leaving a range suitable for your static devices.

Last edited:
Reaction score
+1^^.
I recommend all cams, NVR's LAN or BI / VMS server being assigned a unique, static IP all in the same subnet as the router's LAN but outside of the router's DHCP pool.

For example, if the router's LAN is 192.168.1.1 and it's DHCP pool (a range of IP's it assigns to DHCP devices) is 192.168.1.2 to .199, use 192.168.1.200 to .254 for your static devices.

BTW, if need be, you can log into the router at its LAN/gateway IP and change that DHCP pool to your liking, setting a range for ample DHCP devices and leaving a range suitable for your static devices.
Thanks Tony, can you elaborate on what you mean by: BTW, if need be, you can log into the router at its LAN/gateway IP and change that DHCP pool to your liking, setting a range for ample DHCP devices and leaving a range suitable for your static devices.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Tony, can you elaborate on what you mean by: BTW, if need be, you can log into the router at its LAN/gateway IP and change that DHCP pool to your liking, setting a range for ample DHCP devices and leaving a range suitable for your static devices.
Let's say that the router's DHCP pool is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.200........that's a lot of devices (199) that will be assigned an IP, devices such as smart TV's, tablets. phones, etc. The range for you to use to assign as unique, static IP's would be from .201 to .254, a total of 54 devices. If you had more than 54 IP cameras, for example, you would not have enough to assign static IP's so you would log into the router and limit the upper range of the DHCP pool from .200 down to .100, giving you another 100 static IP's to use and still providing 99 IP's (192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100) for the DHCP devices.

Reaction score
Let's say that the router's DHCP pool is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.200........that's a lot of devices (199) that will be assigned an IP, devices such as smart TV's, tablets. phones, etc. The range for you to use to assign as unique, static IP's would be from .201 to .254, a total of 54 devices. If you had more than 54 IP cameras, for example, you would not have enough to assign static IP's so you would log into the router and limit the upper range of the DHCP pool from .200 down to .100, giving you another 100 static IP's to use and still providing 99 IP's (192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100) for the DHCP devices.
Thanks! That actually makes sense. I'm not currently setup in that config, I've sort of just been seeing that the IP address was on the device that the DHCP handed out, and then changing that ip address to static; however, it sure would help me keep everything better organized if I changed things up as you suggested. I've been toying around with the idea of a specific IOT vlan, but worried I will over complicate the setup. In any case, I got the camera online and was able to configure it. I appreciate all your input!