Choosing new IP camera based on existing one

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Currently, I have an old IP camera:
Dericam H502W, specs:

The IR leds are almost dead (and picture quality is quite low). Looking to replace it (same position new camera).
Will this be a good fit:
DAHUA IPC-T2431T-AS 4MP 3.6m

Trying to cover the stairs area to identify the people who enter/exit the property.

I have a quite strong LED light which is activated by motion, so I don't need the best IP camera (and prefer budget/best value for money, in less than 100$).

Attached a day and night picture.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd use a Dauhua 2231 series, bullet or turret, varifocal. You're strong, motion activated, LED isn't the best solution. When it comes on it will blind the camera for a few seconds as its iris adjusts, just like your iris has to adjust. Somehow, that always happens at the worst possible time.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd use a Dauhua 2231 series, bullet or turret, varifocal. You're strong, motion activated, LED isn't the best solution. When it comes on it will blind the camera for a few seconds as its iris adjusts, just like your iris has to adjust. Somehow, that always happens at the worst possible time.
The LED light is needed since, it is hard to see the path at night.
I can adjust the LED sensor sensitivity, to be more sensitive which will give the camera a bit more time to adjust.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will look into Dahua 2231, I see it costs about 125$ (a bit over the budget, but looks worth it with regards to the varifocal).
Do you expect the price to be cheaper anytime soon (black friday deals and such)?
thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Incidentally, it may pay to use a lower brightness floodlight. The 2231 has excellent low light performance and can maintain color well after dusk, when we see things as too dark. As long as you have enough light to see, safely, is the key and it's not necessary to light it up like Stalag 13 during an escape. Maybe a five or seven watt, on all night, would fill the bill. Just a thought.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
We have BF discount next week!