Choppy/Delayed Playback on web interface

davidm2232

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having issues with playback and live streams on the web interface. I am on the same network as the server with gigabit connections so it shouldn't be network bandwidth issue. If I download a clip, it plays perfectly with no choppiness or stuttering. Blue Iris is running on an HP server with 24 CPUs and 32 GB of memory so no concerns about over-utilizing resources. CPU tends to sit around 20-25% and 20% memory utilization. Can we prioritize resources a bit more to the web server to help make the streams smooth?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you performed every one of these optimizations including sub streams? ==> Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
Have you excluded Blue Iris from any antivirus scans, including Windows Defender?
Is this issue on Windows 7 or 10?
Are you using H264?

If answers to all the above are "yes", try increasing in BI each camera's "Video" page, "Configure" button, "Receive buffer" to 20 MB.

Last edited:

davidm2232

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you performed every one of these optimizations including sub streams? ==> Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
Have you excluded Blue Iris from any antivirus scans, including Windows Defender?
Is this issue on Windows 7 or 10?
Are you using H264?

If answers to all the above are "yes", try increasing in BI each camera's "Video" page, "Configure" button, "Receive buffer" to 20 MB.
I have gone through and done the optimizations including the sub streams which did help quite a bit. We are running Windows Server 2019 Standard. I have tried both H264 and H265. H265 seems to lower bandwidth use and helped a little bit. I just did the AV exclusion and changed the Receive Buffer to 20 MB. It does not seem to make much of a difference.

DG99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the CPU in the server? Most Xeon cpu do not have any GPU built-in and have a cheap 2 mb video chip on the board, have some dell r720 dual xeon with 64 total core and blue iris runs like crap. To get better performance on server I would install Nvidia card and have that do all the BI processing.

davidm2232

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the CPU in the server? Most Xeon cpu do not have any GPU built-in and have a cheap 2 mb video chip on the board, have some dell r720 dual xeon with 64 total core and blue iris runs like crap. To get better performance on server I would install Nvidia card and have that do all the BI processing.
It's a Hyper-V virtual machine, so not sure I could pass a GPU through to do the processing. In any case, that seems like it would make migrating it between servers clunky.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There isn't a whole lot of other traffic on the network so I don't think that's the issue
Many people unfortunately have their cameras routing thru their wifi router and it causes problems. Countless examples of folks coming here with issues and were doing just that and cleared up after they removed that data stream out of the router. You would be surprised how many let their router assign an IP address to their cameras, which then forces it to route it and makes the problem even worse.

Because these cameras do not buffer, if the router gets "overloaded" and has a lost packet, it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system. Consumer grade routers are simply not designed for the 24/7 constant demand, never taking a break, cameras. This will happen even with hard-wired cameras going thru the router.

With a streaming device like a Netflix, because of the buffering, the router is taking "breaks" as it routes and deals with other devices on the system and then comes back to the Netflix stream and loads up a bit of that and then goes and does other things.

These cameras provide NON-STOP data streaming and as such can provide a constant load that some of the routers will have trouble with.

On my isolated NIC, my cameras are streaming between 280Mbps to 350Mbps depending on motion. This is full-on, never stopping to take a breath. Even if someone has a gigabit router, a 3rd of non-buffering 24/7 data will impact its speed.

davidm2232

n3wb
Reaction score
Many people unfortunately have their cameras routing thru their wifi router and it causes problems. Countless examples of folks coming here with issues and were doing just that and cleared up after they removed that data stream out of the router. You would be surprised how many let their router assign an IP address to their cameras, which then forces it to route it and makes the problem even worse.

Because these cameras do not buffer, if the router gets "overloaded" and has a lost packet, it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system. Consumer grade routers are simply not designed for the 24/7 constant demand, never taking a break, cameras. This will happen even with hard-wired cameras going thru the router.

With a streaming device like a Netflix, because of the buffering, the router is taking "breaks" as it routes and deals with other devices on the system and then comes back to the Netflix stream and loads up a bit of that and then goes and does other things.

These cameras provide NON-STOP data streaming and as such can provide a constant load that some of the routers will have trouble with.

On my isolated NIC, my cameras are streaming between 280Mbps to 350Mbps depending on motion. This is full-on, never stopping to take a breath. Even if someone has a gigabit router, a 3rd of non-buffering 24/7 data will impact its speed.
This is an enterprise level network with switches and routers rated at 10x the traffic they are seeing. Blue Iris traffic is a minor blip on their radar. But the cameras themselves seem to stream just fine to the server. I can export clips from Blue Iris and they are clear as can be. It is specifically the web interface that is having issues.