Choppy video being recorded

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As you do not have hardware acceleration, I would recommend enabling substreams.

Also run only the stable version of bi. 5.4.9.18 or 5.5.1.20

veetek22

n3wb
Reaction score
All of you having this issue, you should email support, if you havn't. Be sure to email like is outlined in the BI help file, or he'll never see it.
Send all screen shots relating to cameras settings.
I have done that , so far no response.

veetek22

n3wb
Reaction score
As you do not have hardware acceleration, I would recommend enabling substreams.

Also run only the stable version of bi. 5.4.9.18 or 5.5.1.20
Thank you for advise, I downgraded to 5.5.1.20 , so to clarify detect motion on a substream and once triggered record at 15fps ?

veetek22

n3wb
Reaction score
quick update , moving to 15fps across the board did not help , so frame rate is not an issue here. tonight Ill move everything to the new box. WIll also try the substreams after that.

Unless you guys have any other ideas?

Thank you again for help!

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey VeeTek22, did you able to figure out the issue or getting area of finding root cause? I've recently migrated to BI5 from out-of-the-box NVR with additional Loryta cams and experiencing similar issue. I have Optiplex 3040 with i7-6700 with 16GB memory. All my usage numbers are looking good with under average CPU ranging fro 15-25% with over 8 cams using substreams. But I'm noticing whenever I'm playing back video recording, it seems to have jerky motion almost every other seconds for just a tiny second that it seems noticeable and not very smooth. If I export the video out to MP4 format and play it back, it seems fine. Been googling past few days and haven't really found permanent fix on this.

veetek22

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey VeeTek22, did you able to figure out the issue or getting area of finding root cause? I've recently migrated to BI5 from out-of-the-box NVR with additional Loryta cams and experiencing similar issue. I have Optiplex 3040 with i7-6700 with 16GB memory. All my usage numbers are looking good with under average CPU ranging fro 15-25% with over 8 cams using substreams. But I'm noticing whenever I'm playing back video recording, it seems to have jerky motion almost every other seconds for just a tiny second that it seems noticeable and not very smooth. If I export the video out to MP4 format and play it back, it seems fine. Been googling past few days and haven't really found permanent fix on this.
Hey ,

Unfortunately my struggle continues….
I’m working with BI support and changing some settings and testing but so far no luck with resolving the issue.

Mine are stuttering every second and when I export it to mp4 it improves a bit but it is still noticeable.

What I did so far is -
Tried running it under VM , on the bare metal , on another box with win 10 ,

Decreasing fps, bitrate , reseating BI to defaults , running just one camera, eliminating issues with cables and switches , nothing helped

Ran rtsp stream on my laptop with one of the cameras to find out if it stutters while live feeding and to my surprise it was nice and smooth so it’s definitely not the hardware or camera issue, something to do with the software.

I know that doesn’t help , sorry and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I was just playing around in coupe of the camera settings and see it helps anything and stumble on the "Also BVR" setting inside the camera setting. I'm still not 100% sure what it exactly does even when I googled it. It was unchecked and so I enabled it. After reviewing the previous recording video, it seems to smoothens it out a bit.

Before that, I've tried enabling Intel + VPP inside the camera itself even though I have Intel enabled globally and it didn't seem to help, but after enabling "Also BVR" setting, it seems to smoothens out a previous record video when I play it back. Gives it a try and then walk around the property letting the camera record a short clip and then play it back to see if it helps. Also, go back and watch the previous two clips you posted here to see if it's better. I'd double check that you have hardware acceleration enabled globally whether it's Intel or Intel + VPP. If not, try enabling it inside one the camera and then do test motion walk to see if it captures everything smoothly or not.

veetek22

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick update after going back and forth with support - BI customer service has not resolved the issue. Tried everything that he suggested and at the end of the day I was advised to check the CPU etc which I did. Tried to eliminate possibility of it being hardware related. Vlc streams are fluent . I even tried shinobicctv in a docker and records and plays without loosing frames or lagging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For me, I'm almost pretty much giving up on trying to troubleshoot this and accept it as it is. I've tried multiple settings on the camera including fps, iframe, H.264 or H265, General vs AI Codec, it does not solve the issue. I've watched it live stream using IE11 with people walking around and it's also doing a little choppy or stuttering every other seconds. I'm not sure what firmware your camera is on, but mine is 2021-05-25 firmware, which I think has SMD 3.0 if I'm not mistaken. I think I saw someone mentioned here it may be due to buggy SMD 3.0 firmware with extra processing in background that's causing the stuttering/choppy on live view. I'm thinking of trying to reload the Dec 2020 firmware, which many confirmed it's the best firmware at this point for the 5442 series, but I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle at htis point. But on the brighter side, if you export the video clip from BI, it does not have this choppy from playback. I tried this with a previously recorded clip and it looks smooth to my eyes.

veetek22

n3wb
Reaction score
For me, I'm almost pretty much giving up on trying to troubleshoot this and accept it as it is. I've tried multiple settings on the camera including fps, iframe, H.264 or H265, General vs AI Codec, it does not solve the issue. I've watched it live stream using IE11 with people walking around and it's also doing a little choppy or stuttering every other seconds. I'm not sure what firmware your camera is on, but mine is 2021-05-25 firmware, which I think has SMD 3.0 if I'm not mistaken. I think I saw someone mentioned here it may be due to buggy SMD 3.0 firmware with extra processing in background that's causing the stuttering/choppy on live view. I'm thinking of trying to reload the Dec 2020 firmware, which many confirmed it's the best firmware at this point for the 5442 series, but I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle at htis point. But on the brighter side, if you export the video clip from BI, it does not have this choppy from playback. I tried this with a previously recorded clip and it looks smooth to my eyes.
I find it hard to believe that it has anything to do with the firmware , rtsp stream to shinobi or avlc renders smooth video ,

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is still work in progress here but the stuttering is a lot better than it has been.
Something to try.
I found I could reduce stuttering video in BI by fine tuning the size of the Receive buffer in BI camera settings.
In a camera's settings>Video>Device Type Configure>Advanced Receive buffer (MB)
On my 4MP Hik PTZ I have currently set the buffer at 5.0 MB, my 3MP Hik domes at 6MB, a 2MB Dahua PTZ is currently set at 7MB, a mini Dahua PTZ at 6MB. a Dahua 2MB varifocal at 6MB. All cameras at 15fps, most if not all are on CBR, using VBR I found doesn't reduce stuttering.
My impression is that there's a sweat spot you need to find, racking the buffer up to 20MB as the BI manual suggests you might need, made things worse on the video stream from my 4MB PTZ. I suggest making small incremental changes. It's helpful to have something moving in the view of the camera whilst making adjustments.

Whilst VLC will display a playlist of my camera streams without stuttering, there is a tendency for it to lockup if I select to display the main stream from my 4MB PTZ, it's OK with displaying this camera's substream. This issue with VLC is more about VLC working with my cameras settings not the BI buffer, they are separated.