Choppy viewing when on phone

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question I need help with. I have the Dahua NVR5216 non POE with currently 3 POE cams installed (5231, 4231EM, 4231F). My cameras view perfectly fine with I view directly from the NVR to the monitor as well as perfectly fine when I view from my iphone and ipad using IDMSS when at home on Wi-Fi.

The problem that I have is when I leave home and connect to my VPN and try to view my cameras, my feed is more often than not choppy and laggy. On the screen the KB/s jumps anywhere from <30-150 KB/s.

From my NVR here are the camera settings for Substream1 (as its labeled)

1 camera has compression (H.264) --- the other 2 have H.264H
Resolution: 704x576(D1)
FPS: 25
Bit Rate Type: CBR
KB/s: 1024

Cameras view fine when I'm connected at home to my wifi.

-----

For home view (NVR to the TV) I have the following.

Code-Stream Type Continous
Compression: H.264 ... (2 other cams are H.264.H)
Resolution: 1920x1080
FPS: 25
Bit Rate Type: CBR
KB/s: 4096

What do you think the solution is? Does it seem as if my resolution for the substream is too much thus causing choppy viewing? What do you recommend I do to correct this? FYI these settings are default to the camera. I have not changed or edited them.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what's your upload speed and what are you running your vpn server on?

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My upload speed via Speedtest.net tested from my desktop wired directly to the router is at least 3 MBPS

My router is Asus RT-AC1750 running OpenVPN.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My substream looks great on my iPhone using iDMSS and its set at
H.264H
704-480 (D1)
FPS 7
CBR 512

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
bits != Bytes
1 Byte = 8 bits.

usually a capital B denotes bytes. internet connection speeds are typically given in bits per second.

3mbps/8 = 375KBps

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My substream looks great on my iPhone using iDMSS and its set at
H.264H
704-480 (D1)
FPS 7
CBR 512
I applied these same settings to all 3 of my cameras from the NVR however it stills seems sluggish. Only difference between you and me is that you have 704-480 (D1) and I don't. I have 704-576 (D1)

Any ideas more ideas? I don't need to restart the NVR do I?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I applied these same settings to all 3 of my cameras from the NVR however it stills seems sluggish. Only difference between you and me is that you have 704-480 (D1) and I don't. I have 704-576 (D1)

Any ideas more ideas? I don't need to restart the NVR do I?

I'm not an IP network guru but it doesnt sound like the trouble is with your system, but perhaps your VPN configuration? and/or ISP upload. How are you connecting from outside?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not an IP network guru but it doesnt sound like the trouble is with your system, but perhaps your VPN configuration? and/or ISP upload. How are you connecting from outside?
Seems likely, but we need @Chase to use recognized conventions when referring to bits and bytes.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Haha I am not savvy on the technical aspect of technology so I won't pretend to be either. I hope you can bear with me and hopefully I can learn a little bit along the way.

I am using an Asus RT-AC1750 router with the built in OpenVPN software.

Looks like I'm ultilizing VPN IPv4.

My ISP upload speed is usually right above 3 Mbps with the desktop wired to the router.

With VPN connected and turned onmy phone, I did a Speedtest and I got 1-3 Mbps upload. I don't know if my phones cellular connection was not as good at the time or not... only 2 bars.

Last edited: