Christmas lights creating problems... found a fix

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Some of us may run in to an unforeseen dilemma during the holidays... that perfect spot to string the Christmas lights puts a few bulbs right in front of a camera lens. In my case I have some cams mounted under the eves, and lights hung 2' away on the ends of the rafters. Four of the bulbs were destroying the image on one of my cameras.

I came up with a solution that results in an even better image, thanks to no glare with more lighting, and it preserves the look versus relocating the strand or unscrewing bulbs. I cut 4 reflectors out of some aluminum HVAC duct tape, and applied them on the lens facing half of each troublesome bulb. This way all light from the bulb that would hit the lens is reflected back toward the bulb, and the other side of the bulb still spreads joy.

I happened to have some $30/roll very thick high temp aluminum tape lying around that I used, but I think most aluminum hvac tapes would work the same. I made some extras once I got the cutting pattern decent. I suspect the 4 fixed bulbs may not last as long due to reduced heat dissipation (Al conducts heat well, but there's lots of air trapped between the tape and glass). However there is no real danger as the bulbs are only on when it's freezing cold outside. If you've got this problem might want to give this a try. It took me all of 10 minutes to do, the lights still look great from the street, and it offers restored/improved security at a time when the packages won't stop showing up on the doorstep.

Now, what to do about flickering LED strands... glad I don't have that problem I use old school 5W incandescent bulb strands! :p

Before the fix:
before tape.jpg

After the fix:
after tape.jpg

Merry Christmas,
Kev

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LED flicker: buy fully rectified christmas lights like ge colorite or turn on anti flicker on camera.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
David, I knew that was coming but last night I was just too lazy to grab images from the server. The proof is up now. :)

tangent, excellent reply. The camera in question (Dahua starlight variofocal turret) has firmware that does not support 'Anti-flicker' for some strange reason... or there is some other setting I use that makes in unavailable. Also, I'll have to look at rectified christmas lights.

Actually, the whole issue of flickering LEDs affects me all year long; I'm one of the few folks who can perceive the flicker with my eyes when such LEDs are moving fast (as in driving in a car). They look sort of 'stroboscopic' to me... as if I'm having an epileptic seizure. I don't have epilepsy, just eyes that process too fast or whatever (hopefully it doesn't induce seizures for those who do have epilepsy). I read an article a while back that discussed how what I am seeing is real, but not everyone can see it happening (to some it's more obvious than to others). It would be great if ppl had more awareness of this problem... might help fully rectified LEDs become popular (I wish lol).

Kev

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Flickering lights bother me too, but most led bulbs in general lighting use phosphors and high enough switching frequencies they don't bother me. Eye color actually has an impact on flicker sensitivity.

It seems harder to find fully rectified strands of christmas lights with larger bulbs like this, the best bet are probably the RGB ones that can change colors. rectified strands will either have a power brick or lumps in the cable periodically with circuitry in them. One other thing I've noticed is flickering colored christmas lights bother me less than the white ones and strands that are all one color with a longer wavelength hardly bother me at all

Last edited:

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The colored led strands do seem more bothersome to me than others, and I agree it seems the shorter wave colors are worse (blues and greens). My eyes are dark brown, 20:20... and I'm middle aged. As a hobby I fly small 150-200mph remote control pylon racing aircraft, and I have no problems with tracking/orientation. Most of my middle aged rc buddies cannot keep up with the pylon racers; they also don't see leds flicker. If seeing the flicker and tracking small fast objects is related, then I'm glad I can see the flicker lol.

Kev

keneil01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im in the light business my self, where we manufacture high quality LED floodlight for the marine/offshore segment. I hate flickering too! My opinion is that flickering light in general should never be on the marked! Its not good for the human healt.

There is a free iOS/android Flicker test app, so you can check for your self. Less then 5% are considered Flicker free lamps.

Flicker tester for iPhone