Chrome Remote Desktop immediately drops connection, can't seem to figure it out

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have no clue where to post this, so it's going here.

Presuming my Remote Desktop has been working normally up to this point, it is now only letting me log in for around 10 seconds and then dropping connection. It doesn't matter if I go BI PC to Office PC or Office PC to BI PC.

Here are the changes I made tonight, none of which should have made a difference.

Moved BI PC main network LAN connection from Dual NIC port to MOBO port.
Changed DNS setting in router from 192.168.0.1/----- to 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1
Changed DNS settings on ethernet adapters to 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1

I have since dicked around with the DNS settings, but nothing seems to work.
I have uninstalled CRD, unpaired, reinstalled, removed extensions, all of that.

The only thing I have not done is put everything exactly back to how it was.
One thing I thought weird is the original DNS of my BI PC main network LAN connection was 172.253.221.3/8.8.8.8

Does anyone have even half a thought what in the hell is going on?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The only thing I have not done is put everything exactly back to how it was.
Don't know and haven't used the Chrome remote desktop much but I think I'd do that first just to confirm that's what you're dealing with and not something else that's happened coincidentally.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't know and haven't used the Chrome remote desktop much but I think I'd do that first just to confirm that's what you're dealing with and not something else that's happened coincidentally.
But where is the fun in that?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I will also add that earlier I was successful in using CRD from my phone (on wifi, obviously) to the BI PC without it disconnecting.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If you put it back and it still doesn't work then you'll have lots of fun figuring out why the fuck not. ; )

I see others saying the same on a quick search but nothing really as a distinct cause or resolution.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I put everything back as much as I could remember, and it stays connected just long enough for me to log into Windows on a reboot

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like it might be a problem specifically with the connection between my main PC and the BI PC. I logged into the BI PC from my work laptop which is on a different subnet, and it's connected just fine and stayed connected.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I am also currently connected, and typing this, from the work laptop to my main PC without issues.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Shouldn't be something related to authorization I wouldn't think. In that case you shouldn't be able to connect to begin with.

Does it attempt to poll Google or some other outside service for some reason that might not be available from that side of the network?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If anything, my main network has less restrictions and should have no issues seeing the internet. My work PC network has the most restrictions. I changed the work PC network DNS to 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 earlier as well, and that's what it is still set to, and it worked just fine.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
What's different about the main computer and the laptop? Browser version? Extensions/add-in? Virus protection/site filtering? Those kinds of things...

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
This is the first time I have ever tried it from the laptop. I went to Google, searched remote desktop, logged in, and it connected.

Prior to uninstalling on my main PC I always used a desktop extension. I can't figure out how to add it back so I have been using the web UI, just like on the laptop.

My company is pretty hardcore about security, so I would guess it would be more likely to filter the connection than my PC.

Other than the changes I made to DNS and port on the BI PC, nothing has changed on either PC as far as filtering or virus protection.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have no clue.

I have set everything back to as best as I can remember. I even tried patching the BI PC over to the same network as the laptop. It doesn't matter how they are connected, the BI PC and my main PC do not want to keep a CRD connection.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Some progress. I uninstalled Google Chrome browser from my main PC and then accessed CRD through Firefox. It has stayed connected so far. I tried multiple iterations of browsers earlier with no luck or change. So this is something.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Try putting it back now without any extensions, etc. and see if it's good.

Should have thought to tell you to try incognito mode before. That should disable add-ons, extensions, etc.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
It is currently working, and I am over it and need to get to bed. I will dick with it more tomorrow night.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Chrome remote desktop hasn't been very reliable for me. What often happens for me is I can see the screen but lose the ability to control the remote computer.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it is browser related. I tried in Edge this morning and it started disconnecting. I tried in Firefox and it keeps the connection.

Chrome remote desktop hasn't been very reliable for me. What often happens for me is I can see the screen be lose the ability to control the remote computer.
Up until last night it had been pretty solid for me, but it looks like I will need to use another local option.