Clarification on Windows update warning

natinadaka

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The wiki covering some best practices for BI setup (Disable Windows 10's Automatic Driver Updates) has a warning to beware of windows updates because "there is a chance your Intel graphics driver will be uninstalled." and that would result in "hardware acceleration will be broken"

The thing I am looking for clarity on is what will be the evidence of hardware acceleration being broken? Will there be some sort of warning/notification in BI or in Windows itself, or will performance just decrease?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will not get an error message, but your system will go wonky.

You may lose seeing your video

Your RAM memory may creep up until the computer freezes and restarts (memory leak)

The CPU may start spiking

It has been known to change settings in BI - a recent thread of someones direct to disk recording changing

It can change your power settings and then the computer goes to sleep

And probably a bunch of others I don't remember at the moment, but those are the usual.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My i7 8700 Dell is on W-11. I'm letting it take updates, But also image my drive everyday at 9 am....so if it updates and go goofy, i can roll back 24 hours...

natinadaka

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My i7 8700 Dell is on W-11. I'm letting it take updates, But also image my drive everyday at 9 am....so if it updates and go goofy, i can roll back 24 hours...
That is a good idea. How do you have it set up? (What software are you using to take the image, and where does it go? To a NAS?)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I use Macrium reflect....(there are others) I select to incrementally back up to my D:\ drive ( 5 TB WD Blue drive) I have 3 drive bays....Earlier i was backing it up to the BI Surveillance drive, but it messes with the free space,,,,,I also send in to a USB drive on occasion....so that its backed up outside the box as well. Excuse my typing, it had four finger nadaged up at the moment