Clip and archiving just new

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Something isn't making sense here.

You cannot use the move function from within BI to pick and chose and "move two files from a cluster**** of clips to a location" - it does the command for EVERY file that meets that criteria - you cannot simply select two files.

Clearly you manually moved two files outside of BI....

Here is what it shows - you either can select Delete, Recycle, or Move to folder.... You could not move and have Delete radio button on at the same time.

You can either:
  • Delete it based on a size or age limit
  • Recycle it (but why)
  • Move it to another folder, at which point it deletes where it is currently, and then you must have moved it to a folder set to delete without a size limit or age limit...

1654048934489.png

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The folder was created in BI by BI and the path set by BI. I just re-saved all the clip settings, shut down, and re-started. After successfully moving several clips by the same method to the same destination with clip limits set and delete activated, everything worked fine. I tried the problem setting that deleted the two original clips and they were also moved successfully this time.

I must say that it has been temperamental from the git go today after migrating to a SSD and relegating the HDD to storage. The migration went ok, but the service wouldn't start or stay running if manually started. After several reboots yielded mixed results, I finally dicso'd the HDD to let it run without needing to consider the additional hardware and it was fine. Wiping the HDD of residual considerations straightened it out and it's been solid since..., with the exception of my deleted clips.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So maybe is it that they moved correctly, but the DB was still in process of being rebuilt and thus you thought they were gone?

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They're gone. I can see them as 'deleted' but recoverable using File Scavenger. And we're talking two different 'move' options and menus.

In your illustration, my path is D:\Saved --> the selection was --> delete --> clip limit unchecked.

Open clips. Pick one. Right click for the additional actions context menu. Select Move. Pick a destination. You can do a bunch of clips rather quickly and the database isn't missing a beat.

Also note all the other clip management options available -- including database maintenance.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also sorry for hijacking the thread @bishop20012 . Seemed like a relevant concern for someone just starting to mess around with clips and archives -- like myself.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't ever, Ever, EVER open this menu! LOL

Untitled.jpg
I used Blue Iris features within the Blue Iris environment to perform Blue Iris functions -- very simple ones at that -- and experienced quite unexpected results in this particular instance for whatever reasons. I would respectfully suggest that operator error wasn't one of them. I would also strongly suggest that the particular state of the system (as suggested as a possibility) was much more likely to have been the cause. Again, for whatever reason(s). I have not been able to replicate it since.

That said, the BI database is hardly as delicate as has been suggested and can clearly tolerate some pretty heavy abuse and still stay on its feet.

Case in point as a test, (and obviously not advisable as recommended practice), I moved several more clip files from folder to folder and drive to drive with plain old Windows File Explorer copy/paste and even drag and drop without the database wetting its panties. The file associations remained intact and full BI functionality still existed for all clips simply by clicking on the file, which in turn, simply opened a console session as one would expect. And fwiw in this discussion, I do understand the cascading folder hierarchy aspect and how BI wants to see that implemented, particularly with respect to the Aux folders (however they may be named), Regardless, how my two clips just vanished will likely remain a mystery. Not even the brute force caveman File Explorer test methods created any obvious problems and none of the clips disappeared or were inaccessible despite such unorthodox methodology. I even moved multiple clips simultaneously without obvious problems.

Finally, I was indeed in the process (and still am) of finalizing my initial build and config according to many sources of information. And while I'm obviously still learning, I don't need a 4 ~ 6TB HDD for my purposes. I already knew that. Blue Iris clearly provides various ways to move and manage clips according to one's particular needs, requirements and creativity. I already knew that, too. Now so does anyone else who reads this thread -- contrary to the prevailing advice contained herein. But despite what likely appears as an overly contentious position, I do appreciate the shared input and experience -- albeit somewhat limited in its actual scope and accuracy. Perhaps something can also be learned from mine.

The beauty and genius of Blue Iris is its depth and flexibility, not it's rigidity.

Thank you very much for your time.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's really odd. If I open that menu, the option for move is greyed out. What version of BI are you running? I'm on 5.5.6.21.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's really odd. If I open that menu, the option for move is greyed out. What version of BI are you running? I'm on 5.5.6.21.
I NEVER even looked at those menus LOL.

Mine are greyed out in the alerts, but if I open all files and click that on a BVR file, then they are not greyed out.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I went looking from the BI machine and found page 118 in the help file covers this.

I also found that on the main screen, all clips showing, move and the other selections are greyed out. If you're looking at clips from a single camera then there are choices but they are all within the BI directory structure. Copy and export allow moving outside of the BI directory structure.

Multi camera view
move clip 2.JPG

Single camera view
move clip.JPG

I did ask where the files were moved to and never really got an answer. I also wonder if database maintenance wasn't running at the same time and if that was the case it might have caused a "clash" and produced the problem.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did ask where the files were moved to and never really got an answer.
That general information was provided several times..., (in my first post for starters), but specifically in post #24.

I also wonder if database maintenance wasn't running at the same time
Could have been. It runs in the background every five minutes (unless manually invoked otherwise). That's how the folder housekeeping is so efficiently achieved. Not likely why the files were deleted unless they had reached the end of their storage size/age limit at the exact maintenance cycle for those clips -- which would not have applied to those files anyway.

If I open that menu, the option for move is greyed out. What version of BI are you running? I'm on 5.5.6.21.
The privileges associated with your login credentials may be the problem -- either in BI or Windows, or possibly both. Could also just be a functional restriction/option setting somewhere else in BI. The version should be irrelevant, though I'm running the latest 5.5.7.8 as of 5/29 -- since you asked.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You gave it but it wasn't really very clear to me.

I moved some files just for a laugh and experienced no problems at all. Apparently something just glitched. Not the best outcome for sure, but like I said it's much easier to just copy the files out or export them as an AVI or MP4 for further editing by your choice of video editing tools. Nothing is changed anywhere in the database that way and you preserve the original file in it's original state. That can be very important if a file is need for evidence of an occurrence, either involving criminal activity or civil liability. I know we normally don't anticipate things like that, but they do happen.