clip folders

Boydellis

n3wb
Reaction score
This is my 1st post here and I want to thank everybody for this great forum. I have a 3 tera hd and everything was working great until I started to play with the folders for storage. What should my settings be for New, Stored and Alerts. I have recorded many weeks of cam footage so my HD is pretty full. I was wondering should I delete all of my previous clips and start over to allocate the correct free space ect, I want to store the clips for 14 days so I was wondering what are the correct settings to make this work. I have read the help files on this but I am kind of confused. Thank You for all the help you provide here.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you only have a single drive, store everything in D:\New (substituting your actual drive letter).
If the only thing on the drive will be the stored video, set your max storage space to approx 10% less than the total drive volume and set Blue Iris to delete clips as the drive fills up.
There is no reason to move files between folders on the same drive.
It shouldn't matter where you put the alerts folder as unless you are storing hi-res images (which i have never found reason to do so) it will remain empty.

Use this link to determine what size drive/quality of video you need to store 14 days worth.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
pair (It depends in what folder and what drive the files are stored. If the files stay in on the same drive and folder, then you can leave them. If moving them, I would delete them and repair (rebuild) the database. The rebuild is on the bottom left of the BI Status clip storage .

I do not use age to determine the storage of the video files, I just use disk space,

cam913

n3wb
Reaction score
My single 2TB Video Storage wasn't cutting it. Chocking while playing back NEW footage at high speed was limited to 2x-4x and also wanted a month of retention. I had another WD 2TB NAS and Samsung 500GB 850EVO boxed. I made the Samsung for NEW/ALTERS/DB Storage and 1st 2TB as Stored and the 2nd 2TB as AUX1 (backup storage for Stored).

When it came time to Re-Build the database, by deleting the DB folder, I noticed after completion all the files were taken into account but many of the preview clips in BI4 where Black. So I re-built the DB again with the same issue. I had my i5-3570K doing all the h.264 decoding and wasn't an issue until re-building the database. So this time I disabled "Intel HD hardware acceleration" and extra measure I also set "NO" to each camera's setting "H.264/5 HW decode". Closed BI4, deleted the DB folder, started up BI4 and automatically started rebuilding the database, it took twice as long but all the clips now have a snapshot. I went back into BI4 and set "Intel HD hardware acceleration" to YES and set all cameras' "H.264/5 HW decode" to Default and reboot the system. All the clips come up normal and I can playback NEW footage at x16 while recording from the 2nd SSD.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
My single 2TB Video Storage wasn't cutting it. Chocking while playing back NEW footage at high speed was limited to 2x-4x and also wanted a month of retention. I had another WD 2TB NAS and Samsung 500GB 850EVO boxed. I made the Samsung for NEW/ALTERS/DB Storage and 1st 2TB as Stored and the 2nd 2TB as AUX1 (backup storage for Stored).

When it came time to Re-Build the database, by deleting the DB folder, I noticed after completion all the files were taken into account but many of the preview clips in BI4 where Black. So I re-built the DB again with the same issue. I had my i5-3570K doing all the h.264 decoding and wasn't an issue until re-building the database. So this time I disabled "Intel HD hardware acceleration" and extra measure I also set "NO" to each camera's setting "H.264/5 HW decode". Closed BI4, deleted the DB folder, started up BI4 and automatically started rebuilding the database, it took twice as long but all the clips now have a snapshot. I went back into BI4 and set "Intel HD hardware acceleration" to YES and set all cameras' "H.264/5 HW decode" to Default and reboot the system. All the clips come up normal and I can playback NEW footage at x16 while recording from the 2nd SSD.
So you can just delete the DB folder and it will rebuild again on its own?

cam913

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. Closed BI, delete the "db" folder, start BI and it will automatically create the "db" folder and all the files in it. Plus, takes time to complete also recordings are stopped during the process too. I don't use Alerts but I've read that past Alters don't show up in BI (another topic to search for).

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. Closed BI, delete the "db" folder, start BI and it will automatically create the "db" folder and all the files in it. Plus, takes time to complete also recordings are stopped during the process too. I don't use Alerts but I've read that past Alters don't show up in BI (another topic to search for).
Thank you good to know.
On a different subject if I turn on my PC and open BI it automatically starts recording now. And it seems I cannot get it to fully stop when open. How do you get it to actually stop recording and know it is stopped , while you work on settings? Or maybe I don’t need to have it stopped to configure and make changes?

I read the manual also, but being more of visual learner, this video gave insight about setting up your folders.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you good to know.
On a different subject if I turn on my PC and open BI it automatically starts recording now. And it seems I cannot get it to fully stop when open. How do you get it to actually stop recording and know it is stopped , while you work on settings? Or maybe I don’t need to have it stopped to configure and make changes?

I read the manual also, but being more of visual learner, this video gave insight about setting up your folders.
No need to stop it to make changes.