Clip Storage Hitting "Over allocation error"

aawhyte

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to BI, been running it about two months now and have searched for a solution here on the forums with no luck. After about 3-4 days I will get the 'Over Allocation Error' from BI. I have 369G free on the drive that I have not allocated for use. It is a 2TB WD Purple drive nothing else on the drive but from BI. Computer runs nothing but BI. After 1 day that Unallocated Free space is down to around 250G then the next day 150G etc until it shows having zero unallocated free space and then I get the error that I have an over allocation error. So I hit the Repair DB and it does it's thing and it resets back showing that I have 369G free, unallocated free space, on the drive, BUT there are now some clips that have nothing in the window. blank, and when I select one of the blank clips is says there is nothing there. So I am loosing some of my clips.
Also where may I host images now? Haven't had to do that in a long time, so I can post some screen shots?

Thanks all,

Alex

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to BI, been running it about two months now and have searched for a solution here on the forums with no luck. After about 3-4 days I will get the 'Over Allocation Error' from BI. I have 369G free on the drive that I have not allocated for use. It is a 2TB WD Purple drive nothing else on the drive but from BI. Computer runs nothing but BI. After 1 day that Unallocated Free space is down to around 250G then the next day 150G etc until it shows having zero unallocated free space and then I get the error that I have an over allocation error. So I hit the Repair DB and it does it's thing and it resets back showing that I have 369G free, unallocated free space, on the drive, BUT there are now some clips that have nothing in the window. blank, and when I select one of the blank clips is says there is nothing there. So I am loosing some of my clips.
Also where may I host images now? Haven't had to do that in a long time, so I can post some screen shots?

Thanks all,

Alex
BI Status Bar- "amount of headroom"

aawhyte

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, But I read through that post with several items to note but none of those changed anything. I thought at first I did not have enough drive space, so I increased the unallocated free space another 100GB. It seems to me that when it is moving files from my main SSD C: to the storage drive G: it looks like it is using up the unallocated free space instead of deleting the old files. I checked to make double sure that the circle is tick marked to Delete the older files in the Stored tab under Clips and archiving. And again when I go to rebuild the DB I cannot access some of the older recordings (Black empty clip)

Thanks looney2ns I have watched both of the clips and archiving videos several times to make sure I am following the correct advice. Everything seems to be setup correctly. But as I am new I'm sure I have something wrong.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, But I read through that post with several items to note but none of those changed anything. I thought at first I did not have enough drive space, so I increased the unallocated free space another 100GB. It seems to me that when it is moving files from my main SSD C: to the storage drive G: it looks like it is using up the unallocated free space instead of deleting the old files. I checked to make double sure that the circle is tick marked to Delete the older files in the Stored tab under Clips and archiving. And again when I go to rebuild the DB I cannot access some of the older recordings (Black empty clip)

Thanks looney2ns I have watched both of the clips and archiving videos several times to make sure I am following the correct advice. Everything seems to be setup correctly. But as I am new I'm sure I have something wrong.
You should not be storing any video files on a SSD. Only BI and it's DB, and windows should be on the SSD.

aawhyte

n3wb
Reaction score
That is correct Looney2ns. I have BI running on an SSD. Under the Clips and Archiving Tab selecting the 'New' folder I have this path, c:\Blueiris\New. With the limit size set to 10GB. I am assuming that when the file reaches 10GB it then moves the file(s) from the SSD to the Stored folder which is my HDD.

Attachments

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let me ref-raze that, you shouldn't be recording any video to the SSD. All video should go to straight to the HD.
There is also no need to be moving files, put the New folder on G: drive, and record everything to the new folder.

aawhyte

n3wb
Reaction score
Looney2ns,

As you have sent me the link in a previous post for me to listen to....., please go to 2:57 to 5:10 and listen to what he says. Is this not correct?
This is exactly how I have mine setup. The ONLY difference is my storage drive is G: as his was D: Nothing else uses this drive only BI. In Fendermans link it was dealing with a NAS issue. I am not running a NAS.

Here is a better example of what is happening. I'm not sure I am being very clear. Please see attached. As the first one shows I have 336.8G of Unallocated free space on the drive. That snapshot was about 12 hours ago. The second one is from 5 minutes ago. Notice that the free Unallocated space now shows 309.9G free. This continutes until there is ZERO unallocated free space and it turns red and gives me the error.

Attachments

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about this:

From your post #6, it appears that 'New' will be moved to 'Stored' at 10GB and 'Alerts' will also be moved to 'Stored' at 10GB. According to BI's Help file regarding 'Clips and Archiving', it states that "...The task which actually move files runs once each 5 minutes".

I'm thinking that if your 'Stored' folder is allowed to reach 1400GB (1.4TB) before it is deleted, then if either of those ('New' or 'Alerts') are in the process of being moved by BI automatically to 'Stored' BEFORE that deletion occurs, your 'Stored' folder will attempt to reach 1410GB (1.41TB) and you get the error.

Last edited:

aawhyte

n3wb
Reaction score
So as the days tick down so does my unallocated space. Any help from anyone? ANY suggestions as to check, something?
So on the June6pm1 pic can anyone tell me if those settings are correct, I want to know how you guys have yours setup, do you have the overwrite file selected or Create new file?
I put in a help ticket with BI but no one ever answered.
Thank you to anyone that can provide me something to look at or check.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So as the days tick down so does my unallocated space. Any help from anyone? ANY suggestions as to check, something?
So on the June6pm1 pic can anyone tell me if those settings are correct, I want to know how you guys have yours setup, do you have the overwrite file selected or Create new file?
I put in a help ticket with BI but no one ever answered.
Thank you to anyone that can provide me something to look at or check.
the export settings have no effect on the storage. ignore it.
stop recording 10gb to your c drive...this will cause all sorts of problems particularly if you have combine and cut set. There is no need for this. record to your storage drive.
see these release notes
.3.6 - May 10, 2016

• The Options/Clips page has been updated to display a full list of the folders instead of the previous drop-down control. It was common for new users not to realize that there were multiple folders to be managed. Editing a folder name is now done in-place on the list.

• Alert images if saved to disc now fully participate in the clip management system. The oldest will be deleted if the folder size exceeds its quota and the size of the folder is now represented in the clip statistics. Previously this case was considered an exception and ignored, as by default, alerts live only in the database as thumbnail images.

• The database folder size is measured and displayed on the Status/Clip storage page in order to assist you with managing its space requirements. Currently the database grows as necessary, using the "unallocated free space" on the disc, so you need to account for this to prevent the disc from running out of free space.

• The database scan which occurs each 5 minutes has been made more efficient by replacing complete recounts of files and folder utilization with an incremental approach. This should positively impact performance on systems with very large databases.

• By default, Alert images live only in the database and do not have their own files. If however you are saving hi-res file versions of your Alert images to the Alerts folder (option on Record in camera properties), you may now apply the clip storage rules to these files, imposing a folder size limit as well as age, and may also choose to FTP archive these files. You may also export the image, or move it to another folder. Once moved out of the Alerts folder, a JPEG file is then treated like any other snapshot clip and may not be moved back to the Alerts folder, as its video file association is then broken.

• A new check box on the Options/Web server page allows you to elect NOT to have a dynamic IP address logged as an error condition. The error condition was originally added so that it would prompt a Status/Messages/Alert to be sent when the IP address changed.

• Long-press on a clip in the clips list as a shortcut to set/clear the "flagged" status for an item.
4.3.5 - May 5, 2016

• There's a new "magic" button on all Schedule windows. This button will cycle through some common schedule layouts as you click it. These are the common work week scenarios of 8am-6pm, either inactive during business hours, or two separate profiles.

• Profiles 1 and 2 now have specific default names of "Active" and "Work hours" to demonstrate common usage.

• A new Status property page "Clip storage" has been added which attempts to help users to visualize their clip storage settings and status. It's often an enigma for many as to the meaning of the numbers at the bottom of the main window and in the Status/Messages log, especially when clip storage has been over-allocated and the text appears in red with !! before it. These numbers are also commonly confused with "disc free space." Hopefully this new page will shed some light onto this very important software concept and the equations used to determine adequate free space on your drives. The goal is to maintain some green on the graph, representing unallocated free space (room on the drive over and above what you've asked Blue Iris to use).
4.3.4 - April 28, 2016

aawhyte

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi fenderman,

Just wanted to say that fixed my issue, sending everything to the HDD Storage drive. The video is incorrect then in how he states to set up the C: drive SSD / Storage drive. He does state that you can send everything to the storage drive, but, "he suggests and BI suggests that you use the C: drive SSD and then send it over to the Storage drive." Maybe this will help someone else out in the future if they try to set it up like he explains in the video.

Alex

Last edited:

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also have my new folder set to record to the SSD based on that video. I will be changing mine as well. Very good stuff you guys. Always learning something new.