Clips and archiving not moving clips.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have it set up to move clips from "new" folder to "old" folder when clips are 0 days 1 hour old. When 1 hour goes by, the clips are not moved.

"Limit clip age" and everything is correctly checked.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have it set up to move clips from "new" folder to "old" folder when clips are 0 days 1 hour old. When 1 hour goes by, the clips are not moved.

"Limit clip age" and everything is correctly checked.
are you using combine and cut? if so then the clip is not being moved because its likely still open...there is no point in moving clips after an hour to a new folder unless the first drive is substantially faster (SSD)

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
are you using combine and cut? if so then the clip is not being moved because its likely still open...there is no point in moving clips after an hour to a new folder unless the first drive is substantially faster (SSD)
I am not, and I plan on increasing it to 7 days, but I just put it to 1 hour for testing purposes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not, and I plan on increasing it to 7 days, but I just put it to 1 hour for testing purposes.
Even if you set it for 7 days its pointless if the folder is on the same drive.
Also the process that moves the file only runs every 5 minuets so you have to give it more than an hour.
Double check your combine and cut settings in the cameras record tab.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Even if you set it for 7 days its pointless if the folder is on the same drive.
Not at all?

I don't want to scroll through months of clips. This way I can easily see the last 7 days worth of clips, without scrolling through thousands.

If I want to bring some old clips up (which would be rarely), I can go to the "old" folder and look for it.

So it's not useless at all to move files to different folders on the same drive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not at all?

I don't want to scroll through months of clips. This way I can easily see the last 7 days worth of clips, without scrolling through thousands.

If I want to bring some old clips up (which would be rarely), I can go to the "old" folder and look for it.

So it's not useless at all to move files to different folders on the same drive.
You should not be scrolling through clips in their folders. Thats the point of blue iris. Use the time line or the clips viewer.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You should not be scrolling through clips in their folders. Thats the point of blue iris. Use the time line or the clips viewer.
I am not trying to be rude, but I really don't get what is so difficult about this?

The clips viewer (the menu on the right side that shows all the clips recorded) gets a scroll bar about 5 miles long if there's thousands of clips in it. So by moving them to an "old" folder after 7 days, the scroll bar stays small, and you only have 7 days of footage to scroll through.

It's very practical to do what I am doing. Why would I have all my clips I have ever recorded in one folder called "New"? It makes sense to move them to an "old" folder after they become dated. Like 7 days later.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not trying to be rude, but I really don't get what is so difficult about this?

The clips viewer (the menu on the right side that shows all the clips recorded) gets a scroll bar about 5 miles long if there's thousands of clips in it. So by moving them to an "old" folder after 7 days, the scroll bar stays small, and you only have 7 days of footage to scroll through.

It's very practical to do what I am doing. Why would I have all my clips I have ever recorded in one folder called "New"? It makes sense to move them to an "old" folder after they become dated. Like 7 days later.
Do as you please. Scroll bar size is irrelevant. Trying to give you practical advice. The move function works..post screen shots you must have something set incorrectly.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do as you please. Scroll bar size is irrelevant. Trying to give you practical advice. The move function works..post screen shots you must have something set incorrectly.
My parents aren't very techsavy, so it's very easy to tell them "here is all the recordings from the past week" and let them look through them. Not to mention when there's thousands of clips, the scrolling gets laggy, and it can be harder to locate a clip you want to view.

I will post screenshots when I am home.

Thanks

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll echo some of JshKlsn's thoughts: I don't want a scrollbar miles long and want to periodically move old clips to a different folder. When you get lots of clips in the db and you nudge the scrollbar you could end up moving hours or days, depending upon the number of clips in the db. A smaller db size allows you better control when scrolling through the clip viewer.

I would like the option to move the clips to a folder that is NOT monitored by the db, simply a backup location for old clips. In my case that folder is on a 3 TB drive that has LOTS of clips, sorted by year and month. I don't need the db to keep rebuilding based on the enormous amount of files in that backup location - it simply takes to long for the db to keep compacting, repairing, etc. I see the FTP option to backup files, but, I simply want to move the old clips from a short term folder (monitored by the db) to a long term folder (not monitored by the db).

I'm very new to BI, but, found fenderman has some good advise on anything BI. In this case, my objective may be different that BI's wrt backing up old clips.