Clone a NVR to another NVR?

Downtown

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a customer who wants to clone one NVR to another NVR realtime so he can just hand off a NVR to the state when they inspect his system. He doesnt want to back up at the time they visit, but have a fresh backup always ready. I know I can set the NVR(s) to record the stream from one camera but figure that would be a lot of Bandwidth. Hoping someone has another idea of a easy transition. He says the end users are not techy at all and wants to make this as seamless as possible for them so he doesnt have to send a tech. I welcome any help. He uses Hikvision and most the systems he has to back up like this are 32+ channel NVR's that have independent POE switches. The storage has to cover 40 days of storage. Other thought, on a 32 channel nvr that supports hot swapping, can you take 8 bays of harddrives and set 4 for record and the other 4 for Raid 1. Is it possible to pull 4 raid drives and insert them into a exact model NVR and then open it up? Thanks again for any ideas. I owe you a beer. Thanks!

Last edited:

Downtown

n3wb
Reaction score
Hate to answer my own thread, but I called HIK and got a couple things figured. Customer can have two NVRs and have them pull the same stream so he can hand off a NVR or on the main NVR have all the 8 drives working in Raid 1. 4 for r/w the other 4 for as the mirror raid. I was told you can take those four from the system drop them into an identical unit/firmware and they will learn in. If anyone has some thoughts I would appreciate it. If this customer goes this route I will update and let you all know if it was successful or not. Also just wanted to thank you all for this site. Its the only one I like and appreciate. Everyone seems really helpful. Thanks and good luck.