Coax cable surge protector

AJbest

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I tried searching this forum for a thread where Nayr (I believe) recommended a certain type of in-line coax cable surge protector that did not impede internet speeds. Since I could not find this thread I am asking for advice. I had an electrician install both Type 1 (at meter) and Type 2 (at panels) surge protectors with 2 extra ground rods (total of 3 now) and am using zero surge outlets plus with UPS backups for everything the cameras and router (etc) are plugged into but I am vulnerable from a surge coming directly from the cable at the exterior of my house leading to my modem on the inside. My cameras are not grounded (runs are with Cat 6a UTP cable) since I have 7 and this would have been a huge undertaking to ground each one. However once I get the cable surge protector, I may tackle putting (grounded) surge protectors on some/all of my cameras.

What do you all recommend in terms of coax cable surge protectors if anything? I do not want it to interfere with internet speeds impacting the rest of my network but realize I may need to compromise. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have a coax ground block terminal (possibly incorrect terminology) at the cable entrance to the house, and have that connected to your ground rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AJbest

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have a coax ground block terminal (possibly incorrect terminology) at the cable entrance to the house, and have that connected to your ground rod?

Yes, there was one there (brass) but the electrician connected a new alumimum one (with 4 ports) when we put in extra ground rods. Is this sufficient or do ppl still recommend a surge protector?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

You typically see these inside the demarc box on the side of the house... but sometimes they don't bother connecting the ground.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You typically see these inside the demarc box on the side of the house... but sometimes they don't bother connecting the ground.
This is what I have, but it is connected to the ground rod.

AJbest

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like I have an Antronix 2-way splitter which is grounded: . The specs say "surge resilient to withstand high surge voltages" however not sure I should trust it?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like I have an Antronix 2-way splitter which is grounded: . The specs say "surge resilient to withstand high surge voltages" however not sure I should trust it?
Fancy splitter :D

With surge suppression more is usually better. Whether it impacts your internet speed would depend on attenuation and frequency response.

Pull up your modem's status page at 192.168.100.1 (typically) and note numbers like signal to noise ratio (SNR), attenuation, and power and run a speed test. Try the surge protector if that's an option and repeat those checks. If it does negatively impact internet, you could likely still use it before any TVs.

AJbest

n3wb
Reaction score
Fancy splitter :D

With surge suppression more is usually better. Whether it impacts your internet speed would depend on attenuation and frequency response.

Pull up your modem's status page at 192.168.100.1 (typically) and note numbers like signal to noise ratio (SNR), attenuation, and power and run a speed test. Try the surge protector if that's an option and repeat those checks. If it does negatively impact internet, you could likely still use it before any TVs.
It seems like it! I will play around with my new router (Asus AC86U). It has a lot of stuff in there so I am sure it has some analytics. I agree with your approach to test it out - cannot hurt to test.