Coax NVR / IP POE Cameras

ooom416354

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have a bit of an issue with my camera system and am wondering how I can set this up to work. Currently I have 7 cameras, 5 of which work and are Coax wired with power. The NVR I have is also coax. I recently got two new POE IP Cameras and have them wired into the house but I don't know what to do from here. The issue is my NVR is on the other side of the house from the location of my two Cat6 cables for the new cameras. However I have 1 Cat6 cable which links the two rooms but not 2 so I am stuck as to what I am to do. Reading up, I noticed not all of the wires in the Cat6 are used. So I am wondering if I can do the following:

Take the two Cat6 cables which are coming from the POE IP cameras and plug them into a POE switch (this was the switch I was looking at )
Wire the 1 Cat6 cable which reaches the NVR into the POE switch
Wire the other end of the Cat6 into the NVR - this I don't know how to do as that's Coax though.

Does this make sense and would it work? Also, what would I need to do on the NVR side of that 1 Cat6 in order to get it shown up on my NVR? Is there also something I need to purchase to get it to connect or an adapter from Cat6 to Coax?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ken91025

n3wb
Reaction score
Your post is very confusing. However, if you have two IP cameras that you are attempting to put into a switch, you must have two network cables going to the DVR, and you are using a DVR if you have coax connectors receiving the input.
You cannot merge two network cables into one. Keep in mind a DVR is not a router that can perform NAT and has a routing table.
you will need two network cable run back to the DVR and two Baluns to convert from ethernet to Coax for inputs. You will also have to power each camera independently.
A POE switch will not work in that there is no way for the DVR to communicate with the switch.

Good Luck