CodeProject.ai with License Plate Reader module - HowTo?

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Click the lightning bolt, this will display all the alerts

View attachment 169975
yup, that was it... and unfortunately BAD news for me... according to this it hasn't even alerted on anything after 4:55 PM today (it's 9:30 now) - I would say we've had around 20-30 cars drive past the cams between 5 and 9 tonight... and ZERO catches... clearly I've got something configured like crap. :( I almost feel like throwing this whole setup in the trash at this point. Frustrating.

alert.png

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yup, that was it... and unfortunately BAD news for me... according to this it hasn't even alerted on anything after 4:55 PM today (it's 9:30 now) - I would say we've had around 20-30 cars drive past the cams between 5 and 9 tonight... and ZERO catches... clearly I've got something configured like crap. :( I almost feel like throwing this whole setup in the trash at this point. Frustrating.

View attachment 169977
You can click on the folder icon and then Canceled alerts to see the alerts that were canceled. Do a CTRL + Double Click on a Canceled alert then you can see what happened and why it was canceled.

1691893128989.png

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can click on the folder icon and then Canceled alerts to see the alerts that were canceled. Do a CTRL + Double Click on a Canceled alert then you can see what happened and why it was canceled.

View attachment 169979
Thank you. That was actually helpful... So my next question is... why is it trying to capture the image here:
cancel-01.png

Instead of here:
cancel-02.png

I have tried moving my "trigger" all over the place, forward, back, etc. to no avail. My guess is that the change in lighting because of headlights is what's causing it to trigger too soon and therefor not finding an image in allocated time? But how can I counteract that?

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. That was actually helpful... So my next question is... why is it trying to capture the image here:
View attachment 169985

Instead of here:
View attachment 169986

I have tried moving my "trigger" all over the place, forward, back, etc. to no avail. My guess is that the change in lighting because of headlights is what's causing it to trigger too soon and therefor not finding an image in allocated time? But how can I counteract that?
Post the below of the canceled alert

1691897479144.png

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And this was my latest attempt - normally I only use 1 zone, but trying to force more/later triggers, I tried setting multiple zone lines up to see if that would help, which didn't.
zones.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Too many zones will be problematic.

Make Zone A the top half of the image and see if that eliminates the light shine.

What is your shutter speed? You might try going faster so that the light shine isn't seen?

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That was at 1/2000 - I'll try switching to 1/4000 and see if that helps... also thought of another idea... I could try using crossing for the object detection maybe.... something like:

zonenew.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are making it way too complicated and all those zones will be problematic. Play back motion with rectangles turned on and watch how BI will miss those small zones.

I have a similar field of view to you and less is more. I capture the plate in the alert thumbnail on 99% of these

1691899338267.png

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I could never get away with using that kind of zone (I've tried) - all the trees in the background with any kind of wind trigger non stop daytime motion events... that's why I'm thinking that maybe the zone crossing would work, because the leaves blowing in the normally empty background wouldn't trigger, but motion moving from Zone 1 > 2 if heading away, or from zone 3 > 2 if heading towards would trigger vehicle motion.

ex.png

empty.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At night it won't see the trees....

And during the day that is what the AI is for is to cancel out the false triggers. You should create 2 profiles in BI - a day and night and run different motion detection for day and night.

You are getting too cute with the zones and it will cause more misses than confirmed. Too small of zones are problematic.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make Zone A roughly the area in Red

Make Zone B roughly the area in Blue

Tell it to trigger on Zone B

Having these two will tell it to only be looking for motion in Zone A and then only Trigger for Zone B.

Adjust as necessary to get your plate in the view.

1691900496886.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot to get into right off the Bat,,,I sense your frustration.
I haven't gotten into any Plate reading software or addons, I just know that if there is an incident worthy of pulling a video, I should have (99% chance) of a plate associated with anything going along my North /south street.
That is where the Townhouses west of me create traffic and do street parking.
I know my " burn it, Burn it all" level of patience may not be suited to Code Project.

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Weeks and weeks.
I have all my cams on continous and im getting 4.3 weeks with 7.5TB of storage.
Yes, these will normally be on continuous - and manually I can go back through and find plates no problem. This is for getting the LPR tweaked in just right.

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That was at 1/2000 - I'll try switching to 1/4000 and see if that helps... also thought of another idea... I could try using crossing for the object detection maybe.... something like:

View attachment 169992
Just tried these zones out on a test run... definitely does not work at night. Didn't even notice my truck (which is BIG, white, and BRIGHT lights) for 75% of the runs.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have backlight HLC turned on?

What about 1/2500 shutter?

jeremycolvin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make Zone A roughly the area in Red

Make Zone B roughly the area in Blue

Tell it to trigger on Zone B

Having these two will tell it to only be looking for motion in Zone A and then only Trigger for Zone B.

Adjust as necessary to get your plate in the view.

View attachment 169997
so something like this?
new.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes try that.

Are you on manual shutter and if so what is your gain number?