Color Night Settings for Dahua Z12E

Reaction score
Nice. Is it possible that the last pic, marked halogen, has no front plate? I have found that front plates are a bitch to get sometimes, especially if there is no front plate on the car.

Also you may try more zoom.
I think this one did, because I caught it when it got closer to my house, but yes not having plates at all sucks, since I don't have another one pointed the opposite direction. I am also at like 93% zoom, and can't go any farther without missing cars width wise across the road. It is fine when someone is parked on the side to force them into the middle, but when nobody is there, they skirt my scene. I honestly wish the road to the left just didn't exist, and then I could put my scene right in front of my house. However, I noticed when I started this process, that a lot of the cars go down that road, instead of continuing on towards my house, so chose that intersection instead. Unfortunately, it is 250 feet away, and at the limits of this camera for night shots.

Krazzz

n3wb
Reaction score
You can make a range of Shutter speed if you want. Esp. if you use just a DAY or NIGHT setting in the Camera webUI. If you choose both you might want to make a range of Gain.....for twilight, sunset and NIGHT and daybreak lighting changes.

View attachment 168408
I know this post is a bit old but are these the settings you are using to keep it in permanent B/W? How is it working out for you? If you have updated your settings, can you share them now? I just got the Z12E and so far I am struggling to get it dialed in.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I use an NVR and not BI. I do use Dahua AI on all of my cameras.

I have always matched iframe to FPS on main, I have never matched my substream to my main. No problems at all. I think with BI you guys use substream for various things? My substream is really only used as intended, for low bandwidth purposes like streaming to a phone, or multiple live view like on SmartPSS, but when I download video its always the main stream

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I know this post is a bit old but are these the settings you are using to keep it in permanent B/W? How is it working out for you? If you have updated your settings, can you share them now? I just got the Z12E and so far I am struggling to get it dialed in.
My LPR cam is not a Z12 its a Bullet 5442 Z4....
so quite different on zoom.
I use a piece of reflective tape in the field of View to see how sharp i can get the cameras to see it using manual zoom and focus.....
1703229571836.png
1703229633168.png
1703229726537.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
go here and select Day Or night then go back and turn IR on, and set a range of Milleseconds or just use the one that works best at night during the day. And if you select say...1/1000 and it's too washed out in the day, then you can set a range for gain that covers your night setting and daylight setting.
1703230109011.png
1703230179237.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you. So you have good luck with the auto focus? I see a lot of people setting up a fixed manual focus. Any issues with it focusing at night?
Yeah, the difference is unlike many here, I've always used the 'Schedule" profile. I have the camera switch to night/B&W about 45 minutes BEFORE sunset so there's plenty of light for it to get a good fine focus. Once it does, it stays put until the next switch in morning, 45 minutes AFTER sunrise back to color.

Those who use the Manual setting can in theory make the switch when its much darker, when the camera sensor decides its time to switch to B&W or color. I havent found a need to be that precise on timing of the switch. Same reason why many here (me included on one cam) choose to run B&W 24/7 and just say screw it, it has ONE job, getting a plate.

Of course I'm a caveman and dont mind having to spend 3-4 minutes adjusting the switch time 3X per year.... (I also have no devices in my house that talk or listen to me and still turn light switches on manually)

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use an NVR and not BI. I do use Dahua AI on all of my cameras.

I have always matched iframe to FPS on main, I have never matched my substream to my main. No problems at all. I think with BI you guys use substream for various things? My substream is really only used as intended, for low bandwidth purposes like streaming to a phone, or multiple live view like on SmartPSS, but when I download video its always the main stream
So, do you manually pull LP #'s after a detection? I got a Dahua AI NVR from Andy couple of years ago that has ANPR but only if it comes from the camera. 5 of 9 cams didn't have AI so the nvr allows ivs rules for them.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, if there is an event that occurs, with a street just 1/4 mi long and 41 homes, its rather simple to narrow down a window of time and ID the vehicle with the overview cams and then grab the plate from the LPR recording. The NVR records by event as well as 24/7 so I can either just click on hash marks on the playback timeline or refer to the captured events only with thumbnails.

Whether by camera or NVR (mine too has the capability IF the camera has it) I have no need or desire to create a searchable 20,000 vehicle database for my use case.