Colour codes for ethernet cables.

jaimz

n3wb
Reaction score
My ptz camera finally died after 12 years of excellent service. I found one of the gold pins in the camera side ethernet cables socket had broken. Thinking ill just cut one off another camera and join it to my camera would fix it. Turns out the colours are different, see photo attached. Can anyone tell me what colour joins to what colour as its a great camera with excellent resolution and zoom even if it is an old Chinese copy of a hikvision. Thanks in advance. Jaimz.

Attachments

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Cable colors will vary between makes and models. Additionally, you have hik knockoff, which could equate to the cables not even matching their legit hik equivalent

Did you leave a wee bit of cable on the camera connector when you cut it off? Best method is to use a multimeter to map out what cable socket pin is which cable color.

jaimz

n3wb
Reaction score
Cable colors will vary between makes and models. Additionally, you have hik knockoff, which could equate to the cables not even matching their legit hik equivalent

Did you leave a wee bit of cable on the camera connector when you cut it off? Best method is to use a multimeter to map out what cable socket pin is which cable color.
Thanks Spaceman I've got a meter buried away somewhere ill root it out.

jaimz

n3wb
Reaction score
I did continuity tests on the ethernet cable socket I took from another camera. Black joins to black on the right side pin the broke off one. Right side is looking at it with gold pins at the bottom. The next pin on the doner beeped to blue and white but so did the third pin, I think ill just order a new camera. Thanks for your help. Jaimz.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
trying to make clean contact in an ethernet socket is impossible without the right probes. Do you have the tools to terminate a cat 5 connector? If so, make a connector with a couple few inches of wire hanging out. You can strip the ends of the 8 conductors for easy testing with meter