Comcast "SmartOffice" cameras and NVR

JoshFink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My HOA is currently looking into installing cameras at various locations on the property. Out of the lone reason as not wanting to be the single point of contact for installing and maintaining these as I have a regular day job I wanted to see if anyone had experience with the new Comcast Business "SmartOffice" offering.

It seems relatively new and not terribly expensive but both of those concern me honestly. The gist of it is that they give you the first camera free and then each extra camera you want is $99. Not so bad but probably not great. They talk about them being 720p cameras. They have mobile apps and the rep is telling me that you can connect from the desktop to monitor as well. They also expect you to sign up for cloud based storage which is priced at $29.99 for 7 days or $39.99 for 30 days. We'd probably go with 8 cameras.

I've asked for make/model of the camera and a way to demo the the software and experience but i've yet to hear back from them. I guess since there is a 30 day "Risk Free" cancellation then I should be ok but It will just eat into my time to coordinate and I'd rather have first hand experience.

If anyone has time and can check out the link or knows of some details I would appreciate it.

Thank You for the help

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
$40 a month for the cloud storage seems like a lot since this is an ongoing expense.
I'm guessing the Comcast stuff is junk at $99 each. 720p doesn't cut it these days too.
Is installation included in the price?

If you are capable, you could offer to do it, but charge for your time. And charge a lot so it's worthwhile to you.

Randy

JoshFink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
$40 a month for the cloud storage seems like a lot since this is an ongoing expense.
I'm guessing the Comcast stuff is junk at $99 each. 720p doesn't cut it these days too.
Is installation included in the price?

If you are capable, you could offer to do it, but charge for your time. And charge a lot so it's worthwhile to you.

Randy
Thanks Randy,

The $40 a month is within the budget. My problem is really the potential for the cameras to be junk and well 720p ehhh...

Installation is included for free which would save me a ton of work running everything.

I also have the concern that the rest of the HOA board is pretty much non-technical so even me storing files up on Google Drive and giving them access to it becomes a chore. I know... However, we do need some more visibility into the clubhouse/pool area as there has been some vandalism in the area and it would be nice.

Currently at home I have a decent setup with Hikvision bullets, turrets and mini-domes all on POE switches going back to BlueIris. While I'd love that route I'm not sure if they board could figure it out..

Any suggestions for an easier setup that might make things more dummy proof. We'll most likely be getting around 8 cameras, give or take.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Installation is included for free which would save me a ton of work running everything.

I also have the concern that the rest of the HOA board is pretty much non-technical so even me storing files up on Google Drive and giving them access to it becomes a chore. I know... However, we do need some more visibility into the clubhouse/pool area as there has been some vandalism in the area and it would be nice.

Currently at home I have a decent setup with Hikvision bullets, turrets and mini-domes all on POE switches going back to BlueIris. While I'd love that route I'm not sure if they board could figure it out..

Any suggestions for an easier setup that might make things more dummy proof. We'll most likely be getting around 8 cameras, give or take.
You really need to charge them, like $100/hr. Then they will only ask if they really need help, and it will be worth your time.
Could also hire someone just to run the wiring. That's probably safer, get someone licensed for that type of work.

I think a NVR would be more bullet/dummy proof. If you go with Hiks, get a Hik NVR. A 16 ch one gives you room to grow.

Also wondering if Comcast is using wireless cams? If installation if free, they would make it easy for themselves to do it.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe they are honeywell/ademco cameras just private label/rebranded. Same low end stuff ADT, guardian, and other national alarm companies are hawking.

Take the upfront cost and monthly recurring bill payment's you'll spend over the first 12-18 months and buy some real hardware you won't be disappointed in the first time you have to go retrieve footage for the police.

JoshFink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You really need to charge them, like $100/hr. Then they will only ask if they really need help, and it will be worth your time.
Could also hire someone just to run the wiring. That's probably safer, get someone licensed for that type of work.

I think a NVR would be more bullet/dummy proof. If you go with Hiks, get a Hik NVR. A 16 ch one gives you room to grow.

Also wondering if Comcast is using wireless cams? If installation if free, they would make it easy for themselves to do it.
That's a good point. I honestly have no desire for wireless cams. I'll check out the Hikvision NVR reviews and see how they are

I believe they are honeywell/ademco cameras just private label/rebranded. Same low end stuff ADT, guardian, and other national alarm companies are hawking.

Take the upfront cost and monthly recurring bill payment's you'll spend over the first 12-18 months and buy some real hardware you won't be disappointed in the first time you have to go retrieve footage for the police.
That's a good point.

As for the NVR's, I don't really have much experience with them as, like I mentioned, I'm using BlueIris at home. Do they allow for movies to be archived off to cloud storage?

Thanks

Baja

n3wb
Reaction score
Comcast resells a few different video systems. Smartoffice is the latest and was only announced a few weeks ago, so you would be one of the first customers on that platform. The actual backend is owned a separate company called Genetec which calls their service Stratocast. That means Comcast does the initial camera install and billing, but Genetec handles everything else.

I believe the $40 monthly fee is just for the 1st camera. Each additional camera will cost an extra $15 to $20 per month. Your 8 camera system would run $160 to $200 per month in addition to the $700+ for the camera purchases/activation fees. I am assuming the $99 camera price is for the cheapest indoor model. If you want external or higher quality, be sure to ask how much those cameras costs. Also you will want to ask if the pricing is month to month or based on a 5 year contract.

The cameras should be hardwired to a Netgear POE switch and then connected to your cable modem. Instead of a local NVR, I believe all videos are streamed directly to the cloud. That will eat up your bandwidth, so you might need to upgrade your cable modem speeds.

Here is a leaked Smartoffice user manual:
https://d3bql97l1ytoxn.cloudfront.net/app_resources/5217/documentation/51670_en.pdf

And here is Genetec's Stratocast website, including compatible camera list:
Affordable Cloud-Based Video Monitoring System | Stratocast
Supported Devices | Stratocast

JoshFink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Baja, thanks for all the information on this it's very much appreciated.

I have sent an email back over to the sales rep from Comcast to get further clarification but according to him, so far:
  • The $40 monthly fee covers ALL cameras. So if I have 8, it's still only $40.
  • The $99 camera was the only one they offered and it was indeed for an outdoor model.He also told me that this was the only camera they offered.
  • No bandwidth cap on my plan but it is only a 10 up plan.
  • The contract is based off of a 2 year contract with 30 days to cancel "Risk Free".
I'll update when I get more information from them.

Thanks again

Josh

Comcast resells a few different video systems. Smartoffice is the latest and was only announced a few weeks ago, so you would be one of the first customers on that platform. The actual backend is owned a separate company called Genetec which calls their service Stratocast. That means Comcast does the initial camera install and billing, but Genetec handles everything else.

I believe the $40 monthly fee is just for the 1st camera. Each additional camera will cost an extra $15 to $20 per month. Your 8 camera system would run $160 to $200 per month in addition to the $700+ for the camera purchases/activation fees. I am assuming the $99 camera price is for the cheapest indoor model. If you want external or higher quality, be sure to ask how much those cameras costs. Also you will want to ask if the pricing is month to month or based on a 5 year contract.

The cameras should be hardwired to a Netgear POE switch and then connected to your cable modem. Instead of a local NVR, I believe all videos are streamed directly to the cloud. That will eat up your bandwidth, so you might need to upgrade your cable modem speeds.

Here is a leaked Smartoffice user manual:
https://d3bql97l1ytoxn.cloudfront.net/app_resources/5217/documentation/51670_en.pdf

And here is Genetec's Stratocast website, including compatible camera list:
Affordable Cloud-Based Video Monitoring System | Stratocast
Supported Devices | Stratocast

JoshFink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very interesting. A flat $40 a month would be uncharacteristically cheap for Comcast. It also contrary to what they told MCN here:

Comcast Business Launches ‘SmartOffice’ | Multichannel

Let me know how he responds to your last email. And did he confirm which camera they are using?

At $40 a month per camera it's out of the question for us as it's not a good value. He also has not confirmed which camera. My take on this is that he really doesn't know the answers to these things and every time I ask a question he's calling around asking others for the answers.

Baja

n3wb
Reaction score
It is understandable. He is probably a scheduling rep in a regional call center and the product is only a couple weeks old. His job is to setup an appointment with a "Security Consultant" who will meet with you and provide a bid.

If you do setup an appointment, I am curious if they require a subscription to their alarm service or if this is a stand alone service.

JoshFink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is understandable. He is probably a scheduling rep in a regional call center and the product is only a couple weeks old. His job is to setup an appointment with a "Security Consultant" who will meet with you and provide a bid.

If you do setup an appointment, I am curious if they require a subscription to their alarm service or if this is a stand alone service.
I'm not sure if that's their plan. It sounded like from talking with him that he just wants to send over a contract and take my word on what I need. We'll see. I'm curious as well.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe the $40 monthly fee is just for the 1st camera. Each additional camera will cost an extra $15 to $20 per month. Your 8 camera system would run $160 to $200 per month in addition to the $700+ for the camera purchases/activation fees. I am assuming the $99 camera price is for the cheapest indoor model.
Even more supporting my statement above - take the first 12 months of this service fee and the upfront cost and go invest in a real system

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

Tbixxer

n3wb
Reaction score
You mean like

"I believe they are honeywell/ademco cameras just private label/rebranded. Same low end stuff ADT, guardian, and other national alarm companies are hawking."

Stating facts isn't being an ass..

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Comcast current home security products that are utilized in residential presently are exactly that - they are NOT axis cameras - that is fact. Last year they brought to market/announced new hardware called xcams or some shit - that camera is not widely deployed to my knowledge and the cameras I've seen in homes in the Midwest are still the black box/cube cameras that ademco/Honeywell makes for the majority of nation wide alarm providers.

Also saying I "believe" sure as shit doesn't say I'm stating facts and does imply an educated guess. And if that single statement is the one you attribute to so much incorrect information... well... majority of forum members here have already learned enough about you and know enough about the information I contribute, so good day Mr. Comcast tech.

Lastly - I'm sure Comcast monitors traffic from your work PC, so I would encourage you to get back to what ever job you do at Comcast vs. trolling a new found forum.

Last edited: