Comments on the HDBW4231F-AS

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Of course what really matters is how it handles movement at night. Try getting a clip walking around from the sidewalk to the cars and back and see how they do. Easy to get good still shots ;)

That said it usually takes some tweeking to settings to get good nighttime motion without blur..

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
@adamg makes good points.

Often, the mis-named "HDR" modes in digital cameras do the same thing. While they do compress the dynamic range of the scene, that can result in a bland, muddy look to the photo. It's a lot like applying compression to an audio recording. It has its advantages for certain situations, but by reducing the dynamic range of the end-result, a lot of the original excitement is lost.

But for the purposes of a security camera, I guess we really shouldn't be trying for a "pretty" image. Instead we want to get useable detail in dark and light areas under a wide range of conditions.

Maybe "washed out" is sort of good for our purposes.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
@adamg makes good points.

Often, the mis-named "HDR" modes in digital cameras do the same thing. While they do compress the dynamic range of the scene, that can result in a bland, muddy look to the photo. It's a lot like applying compression to an audio recording. It has its advantages for certain situations, but by reducing the dynamic range of the end-result, a lot of the original excitement is lost.

But for the purposes of a security camera, I guess we really shouldn't be trying for a "pretty" image. Instead we want to get useable detail in dark and light areas under a wide range of conditions.

Maybe "washed out" is sort of good for our purposes.
Understood. I do have two locations where WDR is essential due to the camera being in shadow and looking out into bright sunlight, it can be beneficial. Hard to tell which is best in a given shot I suppose unless you're reading plates or faces, then the choice may be more clear...

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For : 105437 you can try to reduce the constrast of the HIK to a value of 10% / 20% result will be better and image less agressiv
i use these settings for HIK PTZ CAMS

BICK

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
what is the exposure of the HIK here ?

BICK

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
now you have to walk outside and see if the results are good day and night :) the last time I spent all night setting a camera to read the license plates :) and now its perfect

in day mode to see licence plate and faces 1/600 ; 1/1000 can be good :)
dont know what you want to do :)

BICK

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
now you have to walk outside and see if the results are good day and night :) the last time I spent all night setting a camera to read the license plates :) and now its perfect

BICK
Thanks Bick, I'll do more testing tomorrow night. :)

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here for this Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z i use 1/500 for exposure and i have good results for day mode to see licence plates and faces :) WDR OFF

BICK