Complete novice here help please

badayuni92

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all I do hope you are safe and well. I am so glad I found this forum. I am after some help, I am a novice and have just installed a 4 ip camera set up at my house following a series of break ins.

The system I went for is 4 hilook ipc 259 cameras with a 4 channel nvr. Please can you help me with some basic configuration settings

I have decided to achieve the field of view I need to run the cameras at 2960 by 1920 which I believe is 2k at 15fps.

The bit rate is variable what should the max bit rate be set to please? I don't fully understand this side of things. I am using h265 encoding

Is 15fps good enough to capture smooth footage of people coming to my door? If i reduce the resolution and increase the fps I lose an important part of the fov.

When viewing the live view via the mobile app outside of my network eg on 4g it barely loads the main stream. The substream is instant. Is there anything I can do to improve the speed of loading the main stream? I have 100mbps download and 10mbps upload speed

Final question is how do you factory reset the cameras? Can this be done via the nvr? Or is there a re a reset button on the cameras I am using a 4k 4 channel hilook nvr

Any help would be greatly appreciated

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Run the camera at its standard resolution. Which I believe is 5MP. all reducing the main stream resolution is that you will loose detail. Reducing resolution is just math processing in the camera removing pixels and merging pixels. It is better to low the frame rate if you want to save data. Smooth viewing is not a priority, this is not a Hollywood movie, it is security surveillance. You want video that can be used by the police.

There are two types of bit rate VBR (variable bit rate) and CBR (constant bit rate) , Variable is just as it said, the bit rate changes as needed for the video, if no motion then low bit rate. Constant bit rate is the same for ever second. Start with 8192 and move up or down as needed for quality , for a 5MP camera make sure you view it on a quality monitor, with good resolution.

On your phone use a low resolution sub stream, all you want to do is see what is going on.

To hard reset most camera you need to open the camera up, there may be a Button in the camera, or you may need to short two pins together, Find the info on the camera.

Note: The NVR will not be able to process the 5MP cameras. So you are stuck with the way you have it set up at 2K.

badayuni92

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply I appreciate that. I have the bitrate set as variable at max bitrate of 2050 kbps. Would you say this is to low?

When you say the nvr won't be able to process 5mp cameras what do you mean by this please? Sorry I complete novice here

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR-104MH-C/4P 8MP 4 Channel NVR specs says that it will support 4 8MP cameras so it will support the 5MP . The specs for the NVR are very poorly written it depends on what site you are looking at. The other limiting factor is the incoming bandwidth 40Mbps . So you should easily be able to set the cameras at 5MP and 8192 kbps. (8192 kbps * 4 cameras) = 33Mbps

badayuni92

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks again for the reply. That's very helpful.

If I change it from 2040kbps to 8192kbs what benefit will that bring?

Also the setting that says video quality is set to higher. If I change that to highest what difference will that make

badayuni92

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NVR-104MH-C/4P 8MP 4 Channel NVR specs says that it will support 4 8MP cameras so it will support the 5MP . The specs for the NVR are very poorly written it depends on what site you are looking at. The other limiting factor is the incoming bandwidth 40Mbps . So you should easily be able to set the cameras at 5MP and 8192 kbps. (8192 kbps * 4 cameras) = 33Mbps

Also do you recommend I use h265+ encoding? I've noticed using h265+ you can not set the max bitrate it's greyed out

Are there any reported issues using h265+

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not use an nvr. I use blue iris. BI supports h.264 and h.265. The + enhancements are manufacturer specific. The high up you go the better compression, but it uses more CPU. I use h.264, yes more space but less CPU.

YMMV .

badayuni92

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do not use an nvr. I use blue iris. BI supports h.264 and h.265. The + enhancements are manufacturer specific. The high up you go the better compression, but it uses more CPU. I use h.264, yes more space but less CPU.

YMMV .
Thanks so much for your help. I have encoding at h265+ the only bitrate setting I can change is the max average bit rate. What value should this be? I have set it to variable