Completely puzzled and perplexed! Unable to figure out why I'm getting "Network is unstable connecting again" message in Hikconnect

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Below is what I have :

HIkvision 16 ch NVR (7616NI-Q2)
Hikvision 2MP POE Ip cameras

Cameras are connected to the POE unmanaged switch. NVR is connected to the same switch. Switch is connected to a router and the router's WAN port has my internet service cable. All my cameras and NVR has static ips assigned.My DL/UL is 300mbps each tested on multiple speed test sites. Viewing the cameras on the local computer via IE11 works flawlessly. Same with IVMS on the on local network. Hikconnect when adding the NVR with the local IP address also has no issues. Remote viewing from outside the home network is the problem. Added my NVR to hikconnect by inputting the NVR's serial number. NAT/Port forwardign I'm assuming is not an issue since I've connected via Hikconnect. Attachment images of my camera settings. Watching the cams remotely in hikconnect is slow and laggy even on the substream and basic/standard resolution. My mobile phone's cell network also gets about 60-70 Mb/s speeds at all times. I'm using the Iphone 12 pro so its defintely not a case of a slow processor. Totally lost and have no idea how to get this sorted! Please help.

Attachments

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
What is your home internet upload speed? That is many times the limiting factor. You cell phone can't download it faster than it is being uploaded from your home.

I'll also give my normal disclosure about not using a cloud connection to access your cameras from outside of your network. A VPN that is hosted on your local network (ie not a paid VPN service which is different) is the only secure method of accessing your network remotely. Anything else relies on unsecure forwarded ports into your local network, or a "cloud" solution which is basically allowing someone else to access your network/information and then store it on some computer in an unknown country that you have no control over. That's not a good recipe for privacy and security.

VPNs can be intimidating for the average person, but they are actually pretty easy to set up and use. I waited years before utilizing a VPN on my network because I thought it was too complicated. Now I wish I had done it years earlier.

Reaction score
What is your home internet upload speed? That is many times the limiting factor. You cell phone can't download it faster than it is being uploaded from your home.

I'll also give my normal disclosure about not using a cloud connection to access your cameras from outside of your network. A VPN that is hosted on your local network (ie not a paid VPN service which is different) is the only secure method of accessing your network remotely. Anything else relies on unsecure forwarded ports into your local network, or a "cloud" solution which is basically allowing someone else to access your network/information and then store it on some computer in an unknown country that you have no control over. That's not a good recipe for privacy and security.

VPNs can be intimidating for the average person, but they are actually pretty easy to set up and use. I waited years before utilizing a VPN on my network because I thought it was too complicated. Now I wish I had done it years earlier.
Thanks for chiming in. Its about 250 mbps. I used the Hikvision bandwidth calculator and it showed that I would need 0.5 mbps per camera with my existing substream settings. 13 cameras would at most need 10 mbps right? Doesn't add up. Take a look at the attachments.

I'm not very well versed with setting up VPNs and like you said I'm intimated by it. Is there a guide or youtube video which shows how one can create one easily for the cctv? Will be helpful.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One option is OpenVPN.

OpenVPN is simple, but we make it way more difficult than it needs to be lol.

I was there too once with OpenVPN...tried to do all this research to find directions and got to the point I said screw it and just enabled it and kinda of followed what it was asking and it worked. Only takes a few minutes.

You will need a DDNS as your WAN IP address is subject to change at anytime by your ISP (although most do not change often) or you are paying for a static IP address. You can use your router to set up a DDNS or use the free one here.

Just log in to your router and enable OpenVPN and see what it says - probably asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then email that certificate to you and save the certificate on your mobile device (or copy it and move it to your device). Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect and you are on your home network.

It really is simpler than our minds make it out to be.