Complex access?

Reaction score
I have the full version of the PC software and tried to set it for access from other locations according to the information in the help files. I am not very tech savvy with all the settings involved and finally just gave up. I am wondering if the mobile app requires a lot of technical knowledge to be able to access my cameras remotely on my mobile devices or if it is pretty intuitive. I don't want to spend the money on the app if I won't be able to get it to work.

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the full version of the PC software and tried to set it for access from other locations according to the information in the help files. I am not very tech savvy with all the settings involved and finally just gave up. I am wondering if the mobile app requires a lot of technical knowledge to be able to access my cameras remotely on my mobile devices or if it is pretty intuitive. I don't want to spend the money on the app if I won't be able to get it to work.
Some basic networking knowledge is needed. Make sure your system is set with a static ip. And you will need to port forward the port selected . Something other than 80 should be used.

You will allow this in your router, the other part is ddns which basically points to your wan ip and updates accordingly. If you have your router model i may be able to help further.

No-ip is a free ddns but needs to be confirmed every 30 days.

I can also do a teamviewer session free of charge if you need assistance

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Port forwarding has security risks ....vpn is more complex but much more secure...
if you chose to port forward, you dont need to use a ddns service...blue iris has this function built in...when you add a new server in the app, you can enter the first and last 5 of your license key then hit GET IPS

Reaction score
Some basic networking knowledge is needed. Make sure your system is set with a static ip. And you will need to port forward the port selected . Something other than 80 should be used.

You will allow this in your router, the other part is ddns which basically points to your wan ip and updates accordingly. If you have your router model i may be able to help further.

No-ip is a free ddns but needs to be confirmed every 30 days.

I can also do a teamviewer session free of charge if you need assistance

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
See this one lost me. It was setting up of the static IP that I had trouble with. I don't know what all the Port forwarding, ddns and wan Ip stuff is or how to do it.and the instructions given were not very clear. I am sure I could do it, but would need clear, step-by-step instructions for my internet provider because it seems that the general steps given were not matching up to what I was seeing. I am having a problem even now with having to reset the IP address fro my cameras on a pretty regular basis as it will change...usually seems to be during the night when when I am most wanting to monitor what was going on. I keep livestock and have had some losses and want to be able to see what predator I am dealing with when that happens.

Reaction score
Port forwarding has security risks ....vpn is more complex but much more secure...
if you chose to port forward, you don't need to use a ddns service...blue iris has this function built in...when you add a new server in the app, you can enter the first and last 5 of your license key then hit GET IPS
SO is there help with setting up the vpn? I do want security, but if I can't do it, it won't help me. As I said in my reply to AWAHL, I would need to have step-by-step help on how to do this with my ISP. Is there a place to get that?

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
SO is there help with setting up the vpn? I do want security, but if I can't do it, it won't help me. As I said in my reply to AWAHL, I would need to have step-by-step help on how to do this with my ISP. Is there a place to get that?

You can do a vpn but depending on what current router you have installed it may or may not be possible.

It sounds like you do have some other issues as well, are your cameras setup statically as well?

I will send you a PM with a teamviewer QS code if you want me to log in and lend a hand.

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you chose to port forward, you dont need to use a ddns service...blue iris has this function built in...when you add a new server in the app, you can enter the first and last 5 of your license key then hit GET IPS
good to know, I was wondering what that was for exactly, I generally have a ddns which in this case if you need a vpn you will need this.

Reaction score
You can do a vpn but depending on what current router you have installed it may or may not be possible.

It sounds like you do have some other issues as well, are your cameras setup statically as well?

I will send you a PM with a teamviewer QS code if you want me to log in and lend a hand.
I have not been able to complete the static IP setup . Most of the cameras I have came with the basic plug-and-play software and I could view them from anywhere I installed that so did not need a lot of technical expertise, but each camera I added, increased the monthly cost (I have 4), and it was....well...monthly. I like Blue Iris because it is a once-an-done. I will never use a lot of the features, but would like to be able to check what is going on with my tablet or phone and not just my laptop.

I am not sure when I will have the time log in with you to set it up. I am the beginning of a busy day today so this evening would be the soonest. I am on the West Coast. I am not sure if you want set up a time. I really appreciate your willingness to hep me out with it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
SO, search...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought that was what forums were for...to HELP people...not call them names. And you are a STAFF MEMBER????
I own the forum...they are here to help people...they are not here to do work for lazy folks like you, who are arrogant in their replies....shape up or ill ship you out.

Reactions: xdq
Reaction score
good to know, I was wondering what that was for exactly, I generally have a ddns which in this case if you need a vpn you will need this.
Thank you so much for your wonderful, selfless help, AWAHL101!!! I really appreciate your willingness to spend time with me to get this straightened out and working for me. SOme of us are not tech savvy and need help from places like this and really appreciate it when we find a helpful person on the other end who is willing to go above and beyond the call!

skywaytp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your wonderful, selfless help, AWAHL101!!! I really appreciate your willingness to spend time with me to get this straightened out and working for me. SOme of us are not tech savvy and need help from places like this and really appreciate it when we find a helpful person on the other end who is willing to go above and beyond the call!
Vicki,
I'm at your old situation now. Can you share with me what you have learned to use the Blue Iris mobile app with your camera system?
Many thanks.