Computer as DVR/NVR? Home Surveillance

jdub87

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to setup 4 to 6 cameras at my home and I would like to use my PC as my DVR/NVR.

I have over 6TB of hard drive space on my tower at home and I just think it would be fun to have them conected to my computer and I can make any changes and review footage from there.

I plan on buying 4 to 6 Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I cameras. ( any opinions on these cameras? seem to have good reviews )

Does anyone have any experience with what kind of card and software I should be getting for my PC, or is it just much less of a hassle to get a DVR/NVR?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

David Messenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are a lot of people here that have been doing this longer than me but all you really need to do in my opinion is buy a copy of Blue Iris software and spend some time learning to configure it.

http://blueirissoftware.com/

You will also probably need a poe switch if you don't already have one. I just bought this one

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1008PE-8-Port-Gigabit-802-3at/dp/B00E6LID0S/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449770970&sr=1-15&keywords=poe+switch

but haven't taken delivery yet. I bought it because it has GB ports and all of them are poe. Good luck with your cameras.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only concerns would be power consumption, processor occupancy and lag due to resolution & bandwidth capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I want to setup 4 to 6 cameras at my home and I would like to use my PC as my DVR/NVR.

I have over 6TB of hard drive space on my tower at home and I just think it would be fun to have them conected to my computer and I can make any changes and review footage from there.

I plan on buying 4 to 6 Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I cameras. ( any opinions on these cameras? seem to have good reviews )

Does anyone have any experience with what kind of card and software I should be getting for my PC, or is it just much less of a hassle to get a DVR/NVR?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.
1)A POE Hikvision NVR will be the easiest solution with least hassle, but its a separate box, though the monitor could be shared, but not your 6TB drives, so
2) BI on PC is nice and depending on CPU your modest 4-6 cameras load would allow you to do other things, setup will require a POE switch or two, but storage is free cause you got 6TB
3) I wouldn't go the add on card route with IP cameras.