COMPUTER HELP

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for some advice about checking if computer parts are damaged. I have a Dell XPS, 8900, i7-6700k, 24gb memory, with SSD drive. This computer was damaged by a power surge via lightening. So far I know the power supply is not working and the hard drive was not damaged. I put in a new power supply and it stilI doesn’t work. I purchased a Dell XPS, 8910,i7-6700 as a replacement. My question is if I take the cpu from the damaged computer and put it in the new one would that cause problems/damage to the new computer, likewise the other components. Really don’t want to damage the new one at this point.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
First of all, if you want to swamp cpu's make sure they are compatible, Dell usually has a spec sheet on CPU's someplace. I have don a LOT of swapping and if your cpu is toast and you put it in the new computer from my experience it should not hurt anything, the worst thing that might happen is a dead computer not booting. Proceed at your own risk.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Chris I’ve abandoned the parts swapping; the risk thing. I’m going to just purchase a new motherboard and go that route. Depending on cost that is. It would be a shame to throw away a i7-6700k cpu.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you swap the cpu into another computer and the cpu is indeed no good it is highly unlikely that it will cause damage to the computer as long as it is the same socket motherboard. Like Chris stated if it is a name brand computer like Dell, Hp etc they limit the compatibility to what they would install from the factory so the socket may be compatible but the bios is not. Either way, I have owned a computer repair shop for over 10 years and in this time I have seen 1 bad cpu. Your motherboard ( specifically a capacitor) is most likely the culprit.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks rufunky

If I did put it in my new machine what should I expect? Should it at least start? Any suggestions on a new motherboard not for game use? It’s a Dell XPS desktop purchased last year.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Provided the socket is compatible but the CPU is faulty or the bios does not support it you would most likely get power ( ie fans spin) but no display as it cannot communicate with the other systems parts.

ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock all make quality motherboards. I wouldn't bother scouting out a non-gaming motherboard as these are generally built with high-quality components made to overclock ( run at higher than stock specs ie CPU speeds and voltages).

You can often get a new older model gaming motherboard for a good price as Gamers always want the latest and greatest so the prices for these drop fast.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another note is the XPS may have proprietary parts. For example, the power supply may have a non-standard motherboard plug, the motherboard itself may be non standard in size making a standard ATX motherboard not able to fit the case or the io panel on the case may not be removable.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most likely I’ll just get everything new that’s needed. The power supply got toasted also. So my thinking, from what your saying, is the CPU, MEMORY, SSD maybe still good. I know the HD is still good. I’ll do some price checking to see what I come up with. If under or around $400 I’ll go ahead with this project. Thanks for the help.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another note is the XPS may have proprietary parts. For example, the power supply may have a non-standard motherboard plug, the motherboard itself may be non standard in size making a standard ATX motherboard not able to fit the case or the io panel on the case may not be removable.
All of the above true on my XPS.

qhash

n3wb
Reaction score
most probably when PSU died, mobo died. CPUs do not die so easily. had dozens of fried MBs and CPUs that were on them that moment still work.