Computer monitor vs tv + remote viewing

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Someone else just asked this but it's lost buried in another thread and as I also need some answers here, I thought I'd re-ask.

1. Are there any reasons for using a monitor over a tv?

2. Does it affect the choice or make one choice more viable if you're leaving it turned off unless you get an alert?

3. How do you set up remote viewing via your main entertainment tv if you receive an alert?

- I know this latter issue was discussed sometime ago but I can't find the thread. My ideal situation would be to be able to change channel and view my cctv camera (s) if I get an alert or hear a noise outside without having to go to the room where I have the BI pc and dedicated monitor / tv located.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. Monitor versus TV comes down to person choice and intended use.

2. In either event, you would need to turn on, so it would come down to which one is faster to startup.

3. Many people use Chromecast or Firestick or Roku to be able to pull up the video. @Holbs created a routine that it will actually turn his TV on in the event of an alert.

Another option is to use UI3 on a phone or tablet that you have close by to pull it up as well.

StefanB

n3wb
Reaction score
1. Monitor versus TV comes down to person choice and intended use.
^^This.
My TV supports PiP. I thought it was going to be the best thing ever. Turned out to be bloody irritating and I rather went for a separate monitor off to one side.

Reaction score
Someone else just asked this but it's lost buried in another thread and as I also need some answers here, I thought I'd re-ask.

1. Are there any reasons for using a monitor over a tv?

2. Does it affect the choice or make one choice more viable if you're leaving it turned off unless you get an alert?

3. How do you set up remote viewing via your main entertainment tv if you receive an alert?

- I know this latter issue was discussed sometime ago but I can't find the thread. My ideal situation would be to be able to change channel and view my cctv camera (s) if I get an alert or hear a noise outside without having to go to the room where I have the BI pc and dedicated monitor / tv located.
due to a security event (tire slashing at night), I had to have a MUST-SEE-TRIGGERED-ALERTS-NOW from AI HUMAN IVS triggered cameras and from my outdoor PIR's appear on my smart TV in my main bedroom. Could I of setup a spare monitor? Sure. But at 3am, , I needed a big screen, not a small monitor, to show the 9 camera grid on a screen and still see what's up

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Currently I have a permanent HDMI cable run from the NVR to my main 55" TV. I can view / hear all of my 8 cameras or have a single full screen. I have full control of the NVR at this point by using a homemade permanently installed USB extension cable (4 core Belden cable and rewireable male / female plugs). A wireless mouse might also achieve this

This system is only recently installed and I'm finding my way. The main advantage for me at the minute is I can login and tweak the camera settings via a laptop and see the results in real time on the big screen. Obviously I will have to do this less and less as I get the system to the way I want it but at the minute it's a major benefit.

Another option that I have seen recommended on here is an HDMI over coax modulator. While it does not provide control of the NVR it will, depending on the TV signal distribution wiring show the HDMI output of the NVR on any TV in the house where there is a coaxial point. See link.

I haven't looked at monitors in years and am wondering if they all have sound?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I understand your intention is to watch/select a particular camera in a remote TV/Monitor. Most NVR includes HDMI and VGA simultaneous signal. If your main entertaiment TV includes VGA (low resolution), connect the NVR to the main TV, while using the HDMI output for remote viewing (if no VGA TV input, then add an HDMI splitter 1-IN/2-OUT). There are many HDMI over ethernet transceivers (Tx@main_source/Rx@TV), which allows you to control the CH selection (remote control) from the remote location (through IR, normally included within the HDMI transceiver). Another option is using an additional NVR (no need for HDD) installed at the remote location, while using a wireless mouse to control that particular NVR. You still need to manually power-on/select_input in the remote TV, unless you add automation gear to accomplish this task.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I will be using a BI PC as a NVR.

My intention is either to use the monitor I have as a CTTV monitor (27") or alternatively I have a much larger 32" TV that's going unused in the romm where I may put the pc, locationas yet of undecided.

So far as my maint tv is concerned, it is a smart tv with internet and currently connects to my router over LAN. Hence why I wondering if there's anyway to view BI as an App on the tv or via a web page.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

My intention is either to use the monitor I have as a CTTV monitor (27") or alternatively I have a much larger 32" TV that's going unused in the romm where I may put the pc, locationas yet of undecided.

So far as my maint tv is concerned, it is a smart tv with internet and currently connects to my router over LAN. Hence why I wondering if there's anyway to view BI as an App on the tv or via a web page.
Yes, as UI3 - simply open up a web browser (if your Smart TV supports that) and key in the IP address and port number of your BI computer and you have it.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Currently I have a permanent HDMI cable run from the NVR to my main 55" TV. I can view / hear all of my 8 cameras or have a single full screen. I have full control of the NVR at this point by using a homemade permanently installed USB extension cable (4 core Belden cable and rewireable male / female plugs). A wireless mouse might also achieve this

This system is only recently installed and I'm finding my way. The main advantage for me at the minute is I can login and tweak the camera settings via a laptop and see the results in real time on the big screen. Obviously I will have to do this less and less as I get the system to the way I want it but at the minute it's a major benefit.

Another option that I have seen recommended on here is an HDMI over coax modulator. While it does not provide control of the NVR it will, depending on the TV signal distribution wiring show the HDMI output of the NVR on any TV in the house where there is a coaxial point. See link.

I haven't looked at monitors in years and am wondering if they all have sound?

This is another modulator to take the signal so you can view it as a TV channel. This gives me one button access to my BlueIris on both of my big tv's. These use a format that is common over seas. For the US, I use one transmitter, then a receiver on each TV. I wish they made a modulator for the ATSC DTV format the US uses. The cheapest one I have found is over $1000.

Last edited:

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depending on the TV OS, you could use IP Cam Viewer, Tiny Cam Pro or some similar app. Here's a thread talking about using a firestick, Tiny Cam and Tasker to pop up a window when motion is detected: tinyCam + Fire TV = popup on motion detection work in progress

It's been a long time since I used Kodi for recording OTA TV, etc. however someone was working on a way to automatically switch to the live camera when motion was detected...I think it was a plugin called Surveillance Room, so if you use Kodi/OSMC/etc, it may be an option.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Depending on the TV OS, you could use IP Cam Viewer, Tiny Cam Pro or some similar app. Here's a thread talking about using a firestick, Tiny Cam and Tasker to pop up a window when motion is detected: tinyCam + Fire TV = popup on motion detection work in progress

It's been a long time since I used Kodi for recording OTA TV, etc. however someone was working on a way to automatically switch to the live camera when motion was detected...I think it was a plugin called Surveillance Room, so if you use Kodi/OSMC/etc, it may be an option.

I like sounds of this

Griswald

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since you are using BI, I think you will be best served by the UI3 tool that @bp2008 developed. I have used Windows laptops, but there is not any remote for them. I think the monitors are overpriced and with UI3, you can select which groups you want to view in each room. Long time ago I tried HDMI to ethernet converters and always got reduced resolution on video. I have live displays on all rooms of the house. In the family room, I use a 32" Samsung smart TV with the included browser that does not decode h264. I stream UI3 in jpeg mode, so the frame rate is slow. Easy turn on with remote. I just replaced a win laptop in bedroom with a spare 40" tv that I had laying around. I finally bought a firestick and loaded Silk browser. Loaded BI server IP with all the UI3 parameters on Silk and leave firestick always on, so just turn on TV and instant maximized video. You can also use the firestick remote as a mouse and control UI3 anyway you want. Rest of rooms have Win laptops running UI3 on Chrome. I believe I am going to swap out family room tv for another room and update family room tv with at least 36" tv with a firestick. Need displays larger than monitors for "good" multicam view. Only thing I don't like about firsticks is that you have to enter your amazon account and that Alexa crap is on the remote. That means they are monitoring what you are doing on the stick. You don't know who is really listening, so keep remote in drawer. I guess it would be the same as all my Roku remotes. AARGGH!

UI3 rocks!

Last edited:

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use a Surface Pro in a docking station for full time monitoring using UI3 in Chrome with a bookmark loaded on home screen coded to open in full screen. For TV I use Tiny Cam run on Nvidia Shield TV's which I have in every room on all my TV's but TBH the quality coming through Tiny Cam isnt that great. I've tried streaming directly from my 5442's to Tiny Cam and it still didn't look as good as it should or any different than streaming to TC from BI.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, as UI3 - simply open up a web browser (if your Smart TV supports that) and key in the IP address and port number of your BI computer and you have it.

It's a Samsung tv. You can only download thier approved apps and have to use their cut down browser. That said, I can view pages and watch YT etc. I can also successfully connect a pc as an input via HDMI, albeith running a cable might be a bit difficult from another room.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
See if their cut-down browser allows you to see UI3!
Yes, I have brought up UI3 on our Samsung TV’s browser. Viewing is fine, but the interface for control is clunky. UI3 in Chrome on my iPad is much easier to use, and way faster to launch.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
LG tv's with their WebOS operating system works perfectly with Ui3. Full frame rate, sound and all.
Absolutely, I have 3, 55" LG OLED TVs and they are fantastic. Their web browsers are superior compared to Samsung, but I use all of them strictly for TV viewing, since I use dedicated displays for cams.

Reaction score

Yes, your BI NVR outputs a web page on port 81 (can be changed) often called UI3 on your local lan, and can be accessed remotely if you have firewall setup or modem with port forwarding. See BI help for more details. "Then" you could also just have a chrome stick set to view the BI web page in another hdmi port so all you have to do is toggle your "input" button on the smart tv. You could also just have the web page (maybe) on the smart tv settings, but sometimes they are tricky to get basic web pages other than what they have preset (brand dependent).