Conduit install question

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What should I be using to connect the conduit to where the ethernet exits the house? The previous owner had some conduit exiting the garage for a security light and it looks like they just jammed a inside corner pull elbow into the opening but I'm not sure if that is right

Do I need to put a piece of the conduit through the hole (gonna need a much bigger hole then) and then attach the elbow to that?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
What should I be using to connect the conduit to where the ethernet exits the house? The previous owner had some conduit exiting the garage for a security light and it looks like they just jammed a inside corner pull elbow into the opening but I'm not sure if that is right

Do I need to put a piece of the conduit through the hole (gonna need a much bigger hole then) and then attach the elbow to that?
You can put a little junction box where the hole in the wall is and connect conduit to that. I think they make a small piece that isn't really a box but does the same thing to connect to do you don't have to put a giant hole in the house.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can put a little junction box where the hole in the wall is and connect conduit to that. I think they make a small piece that isn't really a box but does the same thing to connect to do you don't have to put a giant hole in the house.
This is what I did.
I just drilled a hole in the back of the junction box, and pulled the cable through and then mounted the box. In my case, I ran conduit from that box to my garage.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just drilled a hole in the back of the junction box, and pulled the cable through and then mounted the box.
If you go with the junction box (JB) be sure to use a weatherproof junction box and cover. If you don't like the look of a JB exposed on the outside, then you can use a conduit body like this for a cleaner look. A JB needs to be supported (screwed) to your house, whereas a conduit body doesn't. If you drill a clean hole for the end of the conduit body you can simply caulk around the hole after your conduit is run. Conduit bodies are available in many sizes and configurations in metal and PVC. For a single cat6 cable a 1/2" size should be fine.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
If you go with the junction box (JB) be sure to use a weatherproof junction box and cover. If you don't like the look of a JB exposed on the outside, then you can use a conduit body like this for a cleaner look. A JB needs to be supported (screwed) to your house, whereas a conduit body doesn't. If you drill a clean hole for the end of the conduit body you can simply caulk around the hole after your conduit is run. Conduit bodies are available in many sizes and configurations in metal and PVC. For a single cat6 cable a 1/2" size should be fine.
conduit body, thanks for that, I didn't know the name LOL, looks like a good way to make connections to the pig tail if it doesn't really fit into the junction box or if you don't want a box, I'm assuming that is what those are for?

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
conduit body, thanks for that, I didn't know the name LOL, looks like a good way to make connections to the pig tail if it doesn't really fit into the junction box or if you don't want a box, I'm assuming that is what those are for?
Another name is condulet. In the USA, Thomas & Betts and Red Dot brand is very common throughout the electrical industry. From most DIY applications an aluminum or PVC conduit body is cost effective. They are made weathertight with the simple use of a gasket for the cover and rain tight conduit connectors. There are straight thru, 90 degree, 3-way, 4-way configurations with the cover location you can specify. The multiple outlet ones are useful where you want to split off in different directions from a single home run conduit. Of course you can size up if you have a lot of cables. Also, you can use conduit reducing bushings on the outlets if you want to use a larger conduit body for more room.

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Perfect! I was looking at those at HD yesterday but unsure if I needed to thread it to something from the hole in the wall. With 1/2" EMT should the single hole straps be sufficient or do I need double? I'm also gonna need to use a 90 degree elbow. Do I need a waterproof one? I using the Dahua PFA137 box to mount the camera on the wall, but as @hmjgriffon brought up in another thread, the gap is pretty large between the camera body and the frame that I can easily see water getting in there...

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perfect! I was looking at those at HD yesterday but unsure if I needed to thread it to something from the hole in the wall. With 1/2" EMT should the single hole straps be sufficient or do I need double? I'm also gonna need to use a 90 degree elbow. Do I need a waterproof one? I using the Dahua PFA137 box to mount the camera on the wall, but as @hmjgriffon brought up in another thread, the gap is pretty large between the camera body and the frame that I can easily see water getting in there...
Single hole straps for 1/2" EMT are fine. Look at the 1/2" LB conduit body instead of the one you linked. A gasket between the cover and conduit body will make it weather tight. I think it comes with a gasket, if not you can buy it separately. Then use these EMT rain tight connectors. I'm not familiar with Dahua junction boxes, but it appears from the pictures that the outlets/holes, or hubs, are 1/2" USA trade size ? Maybe someone else here can confirm.

If you can enter into the back of the junction box then no need for a conduit body and EMT. Then just caulk the back of the junction to the wall surface.

I would as many have recommended to use the coax seal tape, rubber vulcanizing tape, to wrap your connections in the junction box to protect it from the elements. That way, if water or condensation gets in the junction box no harm done.

EDIT: just noticed your link to a conduit elbow was for an inside corner, if this is so, then use this LR conduit body.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
irrelevant, the eyeball of the starlight turret is water proofed, just make sure wherever you put the pigtail is protected.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited: