Configuring a HDD

Danboy24

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I would like to set my Hikvision camera to record to a standard PC drive. I've followed the instructions for doing this by setting up a fileshare which I can connect to with another computer (so certian this part is set correctly)

WI then open an Internet Explorer browser and type the IP address of the camera. Then I go to Storage Management and Net HDD. Form here I enter

Server address - IP address of the PC with the fileshsare
File Path - \CCTV in this case which is the folder I have shared
Type - NAS (I can't set this to anything else)
Mounting Type - SMB/CIFS
User Name - My user name I use to log into the PC with the fileshare
Password - The password to the above account

When I select the option to test though it always returns 'Mounting to NAS server failed. Invalid directory or username/password

Any ideas? It should be so simple but I can't get it to work

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....I would like to set my Hikvision camera to record to a standard PC drive.
Is the PC on your network and running NAS client software (such as FreeNAS) or do you have an actual hardware/embedded NAS appliance (like a Synology DiskStation) on the network?

Danboy24

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Tony.

The PC is on the network. I do have a separate Synology NAS running. Do you think this might be causing the issue?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tony.

The PC is on the network. I do have a separate Synology NAS running. Do you think this might be causing the issue?
I don't have a NAS and am only familiar with shared network drives but I think your cam will only write to your NAS or to a PC if that PC is running NAS client software...I could be wrong but I don;t think it'll write to a standard Windows network shared drive....I know my Amcrest (re-branded Dahua) will not, it'll only write to a SD card.

Reaction score
Why don’t you trial Blue Iris on that PC, it is purpose built to pull the camera streams and store them to the local PC hard disk!

It’s relatively cheap and not a hacked together approach. Blue Iris wouldn’t consume much for resources with a single camera, but you’d gain a bunch of other handy features. The computer would have to be “always on” but it would anyhow for this concept of network recording.

Danboy24

n3wb
Reaction score
NAS access on the PC is done through a browser using its IP address. There is no other NAS software installed on the PC. (I've turned the NAS off just in case this was causing the issue but still no luck). I have had this working in the past on a PC with the NAS running at the same time, so I know it can be done. The only thing different about his PC is it has am AMD processor rather than Intel.

I see there are quite a few threads about this subject and I've looked at a few of them without having a 'aha' moment.

Last edited:

Danboy24

n3wb
Reaction score
Why don’t you trial Blue Iris on that PC, it is purpose built to pull the camera streams and store them to the local PC hard disk!

It’s relatively cheap and not a hacked together approach. Blue Iris wouldn’t consume much for resources with a single camera, but you’d gain a bunch of other handy features. The computer would have to be “always on” but it would anyhow for this concept of network recording.
Do you use this software yourself CRW? Would you recommend it?