Configuring multiple IPC-HDW5231R-Z

Rand

n3wb
Reaction score
I got several IPC-HDW5231R-Z, and I noticed that when they boot for the first time, they get a static ip of 192.168.1.108.

What happens if you connect several of these to the PoE switch at the same time.. will they start having IP Conflicts and rebooting?

Is there a way to switch them all to DHCP at the same time (e.g. with the ConfigTool from Dahua)?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Rand,

Welcome to the forum!
if you connect several of these to the PoE switch at the same time.. will they start having IP Conflicts
Yes.

Is there a way to switch them all to DHCP at the same time
Not that I know of. I use static ip addresses for my cams, and I think most folks do. I'm talking about an NVR,I can't speak about BI systems.
Static ip has benefits, IMHO;
- Configuring cam: when I surf to a cam to configure it, I know exactly which cam I'm connecting to.
- Smart PSS: If a connection problem occurs, such as "Unable to Connect to 192.168.1.200", then I know exactly which cam has a problem.
- Network Diagram: When all cams have a static ip, managing the network is easy. Sure, setting it up takes a little longer (assigning unique ip addr to each cam), but the effort pays off in the long run.

Fastb

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What I did, was connect one, log in and change ip, connect another and do same thing - rinse repeat. Even if you had 30 or 40 cameras it would not take that long.

Rand

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh well.. I saw the ConfigTool option to change the network setting of multiple cameras at the same time.. and I was hopeful.

Rand

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks! Been lurking here for a while.

Not that I know of. I use static ip addresses for my cams, and I think most folks do. I'm talking about an NVR,I can't speak about BI systems.
Static ip has benefits, IMHO;
- Configuring cam: when I surf to a cam to configure it, I know exactly which cam I'm connecting to.
- Smart PSS: If a connection problem occurs, such as "Unable to Connect to 192.168.1.200", then I know exactly which cam has a problem.
- Network Diagram: When all cams have a static ip, managing the network is easy. Sure, setting it up takes a little longer (assigning unique ip addr to each cam), but the effort pays off in the long run.

Fastb
I am using BI, but I am placing the cameras in a separate VLAN, and I had the PoE switch already configured. By default the Camera's VLAN's IP was not in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet... so I couldn't access them.

I'll do as @suddenstop suggested. I am plugging them to a port on the main LAN... and configuring them one by one..

Good point on static IPs making it easier to manage them later. I haven't installed the cameras yet.. so I'm just adding a sticky note with the IP they are getting..

As far a static IPs.. .I am letting grab an IP from the DHCP server, and then I'll bind their MAC to whatever IP they get (which so far seems to be fairly easy with the router I'm using).

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Rand,

You're using BI, so I'll let other BI users help out after this.

As far a static IPs.. .I am letting grab an IP from the DHCP server, and then I'll bind their MAC to whatever IP they get (which so far seems to be fairly easy with the router I'm using)
Yes, the MAC will be static. "Binding" the static MAC to a dynamic ip address is intriguing.

Over and out,
Fastb

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I got several IPC-HDW5231R-Z, and I noticed that when they boot for the first time, they get a static ip of 192.168.1.108.

What happens if you connect several of these to the PoE switch at the same time.. will they start having IP Conflicts and rebooting?

Is there a way to switch them all to DHCP at the same time (e.g. with the ConfigTool from Dahua)?
I would do one cam at a time. Just log in, set new password, and toggle DHCP or set static IP address. Then repeat step with the next cam.