Confused about Main Stream and Sub Stream on Lorex 4k camera nvr system (Dahua) settings..

Reaction score
I have a really slow maximum upload speed of 1mbps at my home and want to keep my sub stream to the minimum quality and bit rates that can handle 1mbps so I can view them on my phone(laggy and choppy I know) . I understand when I access my xxxlorexddns.net and login it uses my sub stream. When I use the app to view a smart motion event (face, vehicle or person detection) it uses my main stream because I can barely play it and it takes about 2 mins to play a 10 second video with constant freezing. If I change my main stream to low bit rate and low quality will my cameras still record at 4k with the highest quality for play back and live view locally when I'm viewing it directly from my nvr?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not certain about how an NVR handles things, but I will speculate it is very similar to the way Blue Iris handles viewing from remote locations. The camera rates become a non-factor because the view, especially of multiple cameras, is an aggregate and, basically, re-encoded for remote viewing. In Blue Iris the frame and resolution rates can be adjusted to "fit" for whatever works out best for remote viewing. I suspect an NVR doesn't offer that flexibility, but the bottom line is that when viewing remotely the NVR is the determining factor regarding frame/bit rates and not the camera.

Incidentally, when making screen shots use the Windows snip tool and not a cell phone picture.

Reaction score
I'm not certain about how an NVR handles things, but I will speculate it is very similar to the way Blue Iris handles viewing from remote locations. The camera rates become a non-factor because the view, especially of multiple cameras, is an aggregate and, basically, re-encoded for remote viewing. In Blue Iris the frame and resolution rates can be adjusted to "fit" for whatever works out best for remote viewing. I suspect an NVR doesn't offer that flexibility, but the bottom line is that when viewing remotely the NVR is the determining factor regarding frame/bit rates and not the camera.

Incidentally, when making screen shots use the Windows snip tool and not a cell phone picture.
I'm not worried about the quality in remote viewing. Just want to have the best quality when viewing locally and play back but not sure if changing the main stream settings lower will make it record at that rate?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a really slow maximum upload speed of 1mbps at my home and want to keep my sub stream to the minimum quality and bit rates that can handle 1mbps so I can view them on my phone(laggy and choppy I know) . I understand when I access my xxxlorexddns.net and login it uses my sub stream. When I use the app to view a smart motion event (face, vehicle or person detection) it uses my main stream because I can barely play it and it takes about 2 mins to play a 10 second video with constant freezing. If I change my main stream to low bit rate and low quality will my cameras still record at 4k with the highest quality for play back and live view locally when I'm viewing it directly from my nvr?

No

Don’t change the NVR stream settings.
You can choose in the app which stream it uses.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Freddie1275, post: 500742, member: 111467"
but not sure if changing the main stream settings lower will make it record at that rate?
[/QUOTE]

Yes it will