Confused about NVR alarm output and how to use it

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I've been searching a lot for posts of how to wire anything (sirens, lights, whatever) to the alarm out DO of my NVRs.

As far as I can see these outputs differ in type on different NVRs. Some are "open collector" some are relays.

My specific NVR's (Vivotek ND8322P and ND9441P) are of two different types.
In the manual to the ND9441P it says "The DO pins default status is set to Normally Closed" however as you can see on the screenshot in the figure it says NO and COM. This confuses me. I'm guessing it's a typo and they're actually NO.

On the other NVR (ND8322P) it says the following about the DO ports: DC 12V±5% output, max. 40V, 50mA. Open collector design. See screenshot
So, open collector for this NVR.

How would I go about installing a simple LED or five in parallel that light up when the alarm is triggered on these NVRs? I might want to install a more powerful light later on so I'm thinking i need a separate power supply to begin with. Should I look for opto isolators, Solid state relays, "normal" relays or can I just use the COM and NO ports as the relay? And what about the open collector design?
I found this wiring schematic in another thread but I don't see if that will work on my NVRs and I can't find anywhere to buy an opto isolator with those specific pins/ports.

I hope you can shed some light on this probably very simple question. I just really don't want to burn anything :)

Attachments