Confused: camera storage vs. iVMS storage server vs. NVR box?

LaurentR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently use Synology Surveillance Station for my Hik cameras. Their current web client is a bit clunky and slow, and until they release a native Windows client (supposedly later this year), I find that iVMS-4200 is much nicer and more responsive for live viewing.

Where I am confused is for recording playback and event handling. In particular, I am trying to figure out the difference between recordings made by:
A) The cameras on their local storage, or a SMB/NFS share
B) The iVMS Recording Server running on a Windows PC
C) A proper NVR box

In all cases, my "viewer" will be a windows PC (or a mobile app), nothing attached to the Windows PC or the NVR.
I have tried A) and B) (and I don't have a Hik NVR to play with, so no C) right now).

For A), it seems to work as far as remote playback, although it is obviously the cameras playing back and it hasn't been greatly stable. Also I haven't managed to figure out how to record events so that they show on the timeline. Can this be done?

For B), I need for work at it a bit more. I tried installing the Storage Server on a couple of Win10 PCs, and I never saw the local storage disks, so I never managed to get it working. I haven't seen anybody else with this issue.

So at the end of the day, what is the operational difference between those 3 solutions? In particular, is it possible to record and view events on the timeline with A) and B) using the iVMS-4200 client?